ReUse Store recycles unwanted goods, spreads awareness of sustainability

Each year in honor of Earth Week, the ReUse Store, a pop-up shop allowing students to leave unwanted items or pick up a hidden treasure for no cost, is set up on campus to spread awareness of sustainability. It was set up again during Earth Week on the Rock on Tuesday.

A project of the Green Committee — a committee started by Student Government’s Energy and Conservation Organization (ECO) — the ReUse Store focuses on decreasing waste and increasing sustainability by recycling unwanted goods that others might find useful. It is the committee’s alternative to throwing away unwanted thrift store-like items from clothing and shoes to miscellaneous treasures like vinyl records and instant coffee.

“Every year we get a lot of success and everyone enjoys it, so we keep doing it,” said senior Eva Muszynski, head of the Green Committee. “The most common people you see here are faculty and staff, more than the students … The ReUse Store is not just for students; it’s for the whole community of UM.”

Whether it’s unused hangers or old book bags, students are able to bring whatever they don’t want anymore and donate it to the organization, and take anything that catches their eye that was left behind by someone else. At the end of the day, all merchandise leftover is donated directly to Goodwill.

The store’s concept isn’t a new idea. ReUse has been around since spring 2013, when it was started by an ECO board member at the time. The store is usually set up once a year in the spring during Earth Week. However, this year, the Green Committee wanted to host the store twice to spread the word. On April 6, the store was set up at the farmer’s market in front of Richter Library. As the store gets more visitors, the board will keep hosting it around campus, Muszynski said.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user 9355.

Sasja Smith

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...