Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball ranked No. 1 in the country for first time since 2008

The Hurricanes are back on top. For the first time since June 2008, Baseball America ranked Miami No. 1 in its new poll Monday morning. Baseball America isn’t alone having Miami on top of the college baseball world. D1Baseball, Perfect Game and NCAA Baseball all have the Hurricanes as the No. 1 team in the country.

The Canes (25-4, 11-2) were previously in the top three of all those polls but moved to first Monday morning after No. 1 Florida lost a home series over the weekend to Mississippi State, another top-three team. Miami has won nine straight and 20 of its last 22 games overall.

Miami is coming off a 10-2 win at Notre Dame in the only game of a series that saw the first two matchups cancelled due to snow. The Hurricanes are 20-3 at home this season with the only losses coming against Florida (twice) and then-No. 4 Louisville. Miami’s only loss on the road was to Virginia Tech exactly a month ago. The Canes have won every series this year except for the second one of the season against the Gators back in February.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern on Tuesday followed by Central Florida on Wednesday, with both games starting at 6 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

Mark Singer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...