Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball ranked No. 1 in the country for first time since 2008

The Hurricanes are back on top. For the first time since June 2008, Baseball America ranked Miami No. 1 in its new poll Monday morning. Baseball America isn’t alone having Miami on top of the college baseball world. D1Baseball, Perfect Game and NCAA Baseball all have the Hurricanes as the No. 1 team in the country.

The Canes (25-4, 11-2) were previously in the top three of all those polls but moved to first Monday morning after No. 1 Florida lost a home series over the weekend to Mississippi State, another top-three team. Miami has won nine straight and 20 of its last 22 games overall.

Miami is coming off a 10-2 win at Notre Dame in the only game of a series that saw the first two matchups cancelled due to snow. The Hurricanes are 20-3 at home this season with the only losses coming against Florida (twice) and then-No. 4 Louisville. Miami’s only loss on the road was to Virginia Tech exactly a month ago. The Canes have won every series this year except for the second one of the season against the Gators back in February.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern on Tuesday followed by Central Florida on Wednesday, with both games starting at 6 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

Mark Singer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...