Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball ranked No. 1 in the country for first time since 2008

The Hurricanes are back on top. For the first time since June 2008, Baseball America ranked Miami No. 1 in its new poll Monday morning. Baseball America isn’t alone having Miami on top of the college baseball world. D1Baseball, Perfect Game and NCAA Baseball all have the Hurricanes as the No. 1 team in the country.

The Canes (25-4, 11-2) were previously in the top three of all those polls but moved to first Monday morning after No. 1 Florida lost a home series over the weekend to Mississippi State, another top-three team. Miami has won nine straight and 20 of its last 22 games overall.

Miami is coming off a 10-2 win at Notre Dame in the only game of a series that saw the first two matchups cancelled due to snow. The Hurricanes are 20-3 at home this season with the only losses coming against Florida (twice) and then-No. 4 Louisville. Miami’s only loss on the road was to Virginia Tech exactly a month ago. The Canes have won every series this year except for the second one of the season against the Gators back in February.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern on Tuesday followed by Central Florida on Wednesday, with both games starting at 6 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

Mark Singer

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...