Campus Life, Environment, News

News Briefs 4/11: Miss UM, Earth Week

New Miss UM

Chinonyelum “Chi-Chi” Maduka stepped down from her role as Miss University of Miami on Friday due to her involvement with a research initiative in Australia that will keep her from participating in the Miss Florida pageant this summer. Freshman Kyra Freeman, the runner-up, took over the role.

Freeman will be formally crowned during a ceremony on Monday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock, with Miss University of Miami 2015, Ashlhea Louis. Freeman’s platform is titled “Uplifting your Youth through Literacy and Confidence.” She is studying public health with a minor in health communications, according to the press release.

Earth Week

The Rock will feature Earth Week events every day this week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to promote awareness for environmental issues with activities, giveaways and presentations. Each day has a different theme, including an art theme and food theme. The week also includes the Sea-Level Rise Conference Monday at 7 p.m. and Arbor Day Celebration Wednesday at 6 p.m. Sea-Level Rise and its impacts on coastal policy in South East Florida will be held in the StormSurge room of the Whitten University Center. The conference will feature experts from government, non-profit organizations and the Rosenstiel School of Atmospheric Science at UM.

Visit www.miami.edu/greenu for more information on Earth Week.

William Riggin

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...