Campus Life, Environment, News

News Briefs 4/11: Miss UM, Earth Week

New Miss UM

Chinonyelum “Chi-Chi” Maduka stepped down from her role as Miss University of Miami on Friday due to her involvement with a research initiative in Australia that will keep her from participating in the Miss Florida pageant this summer. Freshman Kyra Freeman, the runner-up, took over the role.

Freeman will be formally crowned during a ceremony on Monday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock, with Miss University of Miami 2015, Ashlhea Louis. Freeman’s platform is titled “Uplifting your Youth through Literacy and Confidence.” She is studying public health with a minor in health communications, according to the press release.

Earth Week

The Rock will feature Earth Week events every day this week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to promote awareness for environmental issues with activities, giveaways and presentations. Each day has a different theme, including an art theme and food theme. The week also includes the Sea-Level Rise Conference Monday at 7 p.m. and Arbor Day Celebration Wednesday at 6 p.m. Sea-Level Rise and its impacts on coastal policy in South East Florida will be held in the StormSurge room of the Whitten University Center. The conference will feature experts from government, non-profit organizations and the Rosenstiel School of Atmospheric Science at UM.

Visit www.miami.edu/greenu for more information on Earth Week.

William Riggin

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...