Campus Life, Environment, News

News Briefs 4/11: Miss UM, Earth Week

New Miss UM

Chinonyelum “Chi-Chi” Maduka stepped down from her role as Miss University of Miami on Friday due to her involvement with a research initiative in Australia that will keep her from participating in the Miss Florida pageant this summer. Freshman Kyra Freeman, the runner-up, took over the role.

Freeman will be formally crowned during a ceremony on Monday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock, with Miss University of Miami 2015, Ashlhea Louis. Freeman’s platform is titled “Uplifting your Youth through Literacy and Confidence.” She is studying public health with a minor in health communications, according to the press release.

Earth Week

The Rock will feature Earth Week events every day this week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to promote awareness for environmental issues with activities, giveaways and presentations. Each day has a different theme, including an art theme and food theme. The week also includes the Sea-Level Rise Conference Monday at 7 p.m. and Arbor Day Celebration Wednesday at 6 p.m. Sea-Level Rise and its impacts on coastal policy in South East Florida will be held in the StormSurge room of the Whitten University Center. The conference will feature experts from government, non-profit organizations and the Rosenstiel School of Atmospheric Science at UM.

Visit www.miami.edu/greenu for more information on Earth Week.

William Riggin

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

University leaders from the Americas explore creating a Hemispheric University Consortium to work to ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...