Campus Life, Environment, News

News Briefs 4/11: Miss UM, Earth Week

New Miss UM

Chinonyelum “Chi-Chi” Maduka stepped down from her role as Miss University of Miami on Friday due to her involvement with a research initiative in Australia that will keep her from participating in the Miss Florida pageant this summer. Freshman Kyra Freeman, the runner-up, took over the role.

Freeman will be formally crowned during a ceremony on Monday at 5:30 p.m. on the Rock, with Miss University of Miami 2015, Ashlhea Louis. Freeman’s platform is titled “Uplifting your Youth through Literacy and Confidence.” She is studying public health with a minor in health communications, according to the press release.

Earth Week

The Rock will feature Earth Week events every day this week from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to promote awareness for environmental issues with activities, giveaways and presentations. Each day has a different theme, including an art theme and food theme. The week also includes the Sea-Level Rise Conference Monday at 7 p.m. and Arbor Day Celebration Wednesday at 6 p.m. Sea-Level Rise and its impacts on coastal policy in South East Florida will be held in the StormSurge room of the Whitten University Center. The conference will feature experts from government, non-profit organizations and the Rosenstiel School of Atmospheric Science at UM.

Visit www.miami.edu/greenu for more information on Earth Week.

William Riggin

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...