Sports, Tennis

Miami tennis performs well in singles play, winning match against Louisville

Junior Bernard Tefel hits a forehand shot during the men’s tennis match against Louisville Sunday afternoon at the Neil Shiff Tennis Center. Tefel fought through a second set tiebreak point to win the match and put Miami up 3-2. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Junior Bernard Tefel hits a forehand shot during the men’s tennis match against Louisville Sunday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. Tefel fought through a second-set tiebreak point to win the match and put Miami up 3-2. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The Hurricanes snapped a five-match losing streak with a 5-2 win over Louisville in the final home match of the season on Sunday afternoon.

“I think Louisville is a good team and we needed a win at home to end our regular season,” Head Coach Mario Rincon said to HurricaneSports.com.

Miami (8-12, 3-7) got off to a poor start, losing badly in the doubles point. Junior Jesse Flores and No. 43 sophomore Piotr Lomacki got behind early and were unable to bounce back, losing their match 6-3.

The duo of freshmen Fermin Calvo and sophomore Nile Clark also struggled, eventually losing 6-1.

The Canes rebounded in singles play. Sophomore Niclas Genovese earned his first win of the season, as he defeated Christian Haushammer in two sets, 6-3, 6-0.

Bouncing back from his doubles loss, Lomacki was much more effective in his singles play, winning his match in two swift sets. Calvo was unable to keep the Canes’ momentum going when he lost in two sets, tying the overall match 2-2.

The Canes proceeded to blow away Louisville (13-15, 0-10) as Bernard Tefel, Max Andrews and Flores all won their matches, giving Miami the 5-2 victory.

Before beating the Cardinals, Miami lost to North Carolina State 4-3 on Friday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes once again fell behind, but this time they could not come back for the win. Miami lost the doubles point and the first singles match to go down 2-0.

“We didn’t play very well, and we were a little bit flat at the beginning. The guys were really slow to start, but we got a little bit of momentum and played better to make it competitive. But that’s still not the way we can play doubles,” Rincon said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes played hard in the remainder of the match, but their comeback effort fell short. Calvo, Tefel and Lomacki each won their match to tie it 3-3. The contest came down to a match between Genovese and Chris Mikrovas. Genovese played well, but he eventually lost in three sets, 6-4, 6-7 and 6-4.

The Canes next play Virginia Tech at 1 p.m. on Friday in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Tej Joshi

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...