Baseball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes baseball beats Notre Dame in snowy 1-game series

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall in Notre Dame Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Camron Ghorb

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall at Notre Dame on Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Miami Athletics

The No. 2 Hurricanes easily defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 10-2 Sunday afternoon in a one-game series. The series was originally slated to be three games, but the snow in South Bend said otherwise.

Weather continued to be a concern throughout the game. There were winds of 17 mph and heavy rain with temperatures in the 30s.

Left-handed sophomore Michael Mediavilla led the Canes to their ninth-consecutive victory, only giving up one run on four hits in six innings.

The Canes’ offense gave Mediavilla plenty of breathing room nonetheless. Sophomore leadoff batter Carl Chester reached base five times and junior catcher Zack Collins recorded five RBI.

Notre Dame (16-12, 6-7) opened the game with Peter Solomon at the mound. Miami batters had success against him in the first, as Chester dropped a shot into right field for a single to open the game. This was followed by a Christopher Barr bunt, which was mishandled by the Irish catcher to allow Chester to cross the plate.

The Irish tied it in the second on a solo home run by Miami native Ricky Sanchez, his first of the season.

The rain intensified in the third inning, but the Canes were still able to retake the lead. With two runners in scoring position, Collins whacked a two-run double off the wall in right-center. Collins scored on an RBI single by senior shortstop Brandon Lopez to make it 4-1.

The game remained stagnant until the sixth inning, when a three-run homer from Collins extended Miami’s lead to 7-1.

Freshman righty Andrew Cabezas filled in for Mediavilla coming out of the seventh inning stretch. Cabezas gave up a run on two hits and a walk to go with just one out. Fellow right-handed freshman Frankie Bartow came in for Cabezas and recorded the last two outs in the seventh as well as a scoreless bottom of the eighth.

Both offenses were quiet until the ninth inning, when the Canes (25-4, 11-2) were able to add another three runs to their lead. With the bases loaded, redshirt junior third baseman Edgar Michelangeli dropped a bases-clearing double into deep left field. Right-handed freshman Isaiah Musa finished off the Irish with a clean ninth inning.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern at 6 p.m. on Tuesday at Mark Light Field.

Tej Joshi

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...