Baseball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes baseball beats Notre Dame in snowy 1-game series

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall in Notre Dame Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Camron Ghorb

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall at Notre Dame on Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Miami Athletics

The No. 2 Hurricanes easily defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 10-2 Sunday afternoon in a one-game series. The series was originally slated to be three games, but the snow in South Bend said otherwise.

Weather continued to be a concern throughout the game. There were winds of 17 mph and heavy rain with temperatures in the 30s.

Left-handed sophomore Michael Mediavilla led the Canes to their ninth-consecutive victory, only giving up one run on four hits in six innings.

The Canes’ offense gave Mediavilla plenty of breathing room nonetheless. Sophomore leadoff batter Carl Chester reached base five times and junior catcher Zack Collins recorded five RBI.

Notre Dame (16-12, 6-7) opened the game with Peter Solomon at the mound. Miami batters had success against him in the first, as Chester dropped a shot into right field for a single to open the game. This was followed by a Christopher Barr bunt, which was mishandled by the Irish catcher to allow Chester to cross the plate.

The Irish tied it in the second on a solo home run by Miami native Ricky Sanchez, his first of the season.

The rain intensified in the third inning, but the Canes were still able to retake the lead. With two runners in scoring position, Collins whacked a two-run double off the wall in right-center. Collins scored on an RBI single by senior shortstop Brandon Lopez to make it 4-1.

The game remained stagnant until the sixth inning, when a three-run homer from Collins extended Miami’s lead to 7-1.

Freshman righty Andrew Cabezas filled in for Mediavilla coming out of the seventh inning stretch. Cabezas gave up a run on two hits and a walk to go with just one out. Fellow right-handed freshman Frankie Bartow came in for Cabezas and recorded the last two outs in the seventh as well as a scoreless bottom of the eighth.

Both offenses were quiet until the ninth inning, when the Canes (25-4, 11-2) were able to add another three runs to their lead. With the bases loaded, redshirt junior third baseman Edgar Michelangeli dropped a bases-clearing double into deep left field. Right-handed freshman Isaiah Musa finished off the Irish with a clean ninth inning.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern at 6 p.m. on Tuesday at Mark Light Field.

Tej Joshi

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...