Baseball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes baseball beats Notre Dame in snowy 1-game series

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall in Notre Dame Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Camron Ghorb

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall at Notre Dame on Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Miami Athletics

The No. 2 Hurricanes easily defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 10-2 Sunday afternoon in a one-game series. The series was originally slated to be three games, but the snow in South Bend said otherwise.

Weather continued to be a concern throughout the game. There were winds of 17 mph and heavy rain with temperatures in the 30s.

Left-handed sophomore Michael Mediavilla led the Canes to their ninth-consecutive victory, only giving up one run on four hits in six innings.

The Canes’ offense gave Mediavilla plenty of breathing room nonetheless. Sophomore leadoff batter Carl Chester reached base five times and junior catcher Zack Collins recorded five RBI.

Notre Dame (16-12, 6-7) opened the game with Peter Solomon at the mound. Miami batters had success against him in the first, as Chester dropped a shot into right field for a single to open the game. This was followed by a Christopher Barr bunt, which was mishandled by the Irish catcher to allow Chester to cross the plate.

The Irish tied it in the second on a solo home run by Miami native Ricky Sanchez, his first of the season.

The rain intensified in the third inning, but the Canes were still able to retake the lead. With two runners in scoring position, Collins whacked a two-run double off the wall in right-center. Collins scored on an RBI single by senior shortstop Brandon Lopez to make it 4-1.

The game remained stagnant until the sixth inning, when a three-run homer from Collins extended Miami’s lead to 7-1.

Freshman righty Andrew Cabezas filled in for Mediavilla coming out of the seventh inning stretch. Cabezas gave up a run on two hits and a walk to go with just one out. Fellow right-handed freshman Frankie Bartow came in for Cabezas and recorded the last two outs in the seventh as well as a scoreless bottom of the eighth.

Both offenses were quiet until the ninth inning, when the Canes (25-4, 11-2) were able to add another three runs to their lead. With the bases loaded, redshirt junior third baseman Edgar Michelangeli dropped a bases-clearing double into deep left field. Right-handed freshman Isaiah Musa finished off the Irish with a clean ninth inning.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern at 6 p.m. on Tuesday at Mark Light Field.

Tej Joshi

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...