Baseball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes baseball beats Notre Dame in snowy 1-game series

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall in Notre Dame Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Camron Ghorb

Members of the men’s baseball team play in the snowfall at Notre Dame on Saturday. Two of the baseball games were cancelled due to the inclement weather. Photo courtesy Miami Athletics

The No. 2 Hurricanes easily defeated the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 10-2 Sunday afternoon in a one-game series. The series was originally slated to be three games, but the snow in South Bend said otherwise.

Weather continued to be a concern throughout the game. There were winds of 17 mph and heavy rain with temperatures in the 30s.

Left-handed sophomore Michael Mediavilla led the Canes to their ninth-consecutive victory, only giving up one run on four hits in six innings.

The Canes’ offense gave Mediavilla plenty of breathing room nonetheless. Sophomore leadoff batter Carl Chester reached base five times and junior catcher Zack Collins recorded five RBI.

Notre Dame (16-12, 6-7) opened the game with Peter Solomon at the mound. Miami batters had success against him in the first, as Chester dropped a shot into right field for a single to open the game. This was followed by a Christopher Barr bunt, which was mishandled by the Irish catcher to allow Chester to cross the plate.

The Irish tied it in the second on a solo home run by Miami native Ricky Sanchez, his first of the season.

The rain intensified in the third inning, but the Canes were still able to retake the lead. With two runners in scoring position, Collins whacked a two-run double off the wall in right-center. Collins scored on an RBI single by senior shortstop Brandon Lopez to make it 4-1.

The game remained stagnant until the sixth inning, when a three-run homer from Collins extended Miami’s lead to 7-1.

Freshman righty Andrew Cabezas filled in for Mediavilla coming out of the seventh inning stretch. Cabezas gave up a run on two hits and a walk to go with just one out. Fellow right-handed freshman Frankie Bartow came in for Cabezas and recorded the last two outs in the seventh as well as a scoreless bottom of the eighth.

Both offenses were quiet until the ninth inning, when the Canes (25-4, 11-2) were able to add another three runs to their lead. With the bases loaded, redshirt junior third baseman Edgar Michelangeli dropped a bases-clearing double into deep left field. Right-handed freshman Isaiah Musa finished off the Irish with a clean ninth inning.

The Canes next play Nova Southeastern at 6 p.m. on Tuesday at Mark Light Field.

About Author

Tej Joshi

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...