Garzón Restaurant offers variety of decadent dishes

One of Garzon's most popular options, the Parilladito, pairs chorizo, blood sausage, and skirt steak with empanadas and bleu cheese truffle fries. Haley Walker // Contributing Photographer

One of Garzon’s most popular options, the Parilladito, pairs chorizo, blood sausage, and skirt steak with empanadas and bleu cheese truffle fries. Haley Walker // Contributing Photographer

Garzon Restaurant – 4/5

Located in Miami’s Brickell area, this Mediterranean crudo bar and grill offers rustic decor and savory tapas. While the dishes range from mediocre to spectacular, the quiet ambiance and attentive service are hard to come by in such a busy metropolitan area. Like an upscale Buns & Buns or a Spanish Swine, this restaurant has offered the atmosphere of an up-and-coming gastropub with traditional dishes since its November opening.

Chorizo Croquettes with Guava Sauce – 5/5

The presentation of this dish is artful but sparse: just six croquettes and a sauce bowl. On their own, the bite-sized croquettes are crisp and rich. Fatty and salty flavors dominate, but there are subtle spices in the chorizo. The dollop of aioli on top adds the right amount of moisture to eat them without additional condiments. When dipped in the guava sauce, however, they become the perfect bite: sweet and unctuous. This dish surpasses the rest, in both flavor and innovation.

Burrata – 3/5

This dish arrived neatly garnished and placed. The mozzarella in this burrata was thick and creamy, but the crostini crackers and tomatoes were leaning toward bland. The peas and asparagus added little but visual appeal to the dish. It was well-seasoned, however, with salt, pepper and olive oil. Overall, this was a decent but uninteresting pick.

Tuna Tartar – 4/5

At first glance, the tuna in this dish seems a bit dull, but the presentation is otherwise colorful and appetizing. The first bite is rich and salty, a mixture of the avocado, olive oil and caviar on top. A few more bites reveals hints of cilantro and aioli, as well as multicolored tomatoes. If the tuna were higher quality, this dish would be a five out of five for flavor and presentation.

Parilladito – 4/5

This dish is a collection of Garzón’s iconic offerings: two different empanadas, chorizo and blood sausage, truffle fries with bleu cheese, and skirt steak. It isn’t the most colorful dish, but what it lacks in chromatics, it makes up for in taste. The empanadas are savory and salty, especially the one filled with sharp cheese and onion. Both varieties of sausage are moist and well-spiced. The fries, like the croquettes, are perfectly crisp and topped with not-too-tangy bleu. The skirt steak is, unfortunately, the disappointment of the plate. While it has a rich, charred flavor, the texture is a bit gummy. Overall, this is an excellent way to sample the restaurant’s dishes and fill up on decadent food.

Garzon Restaurant is located at 901 Brickell Plaza.

Haley Walker

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...