Campus Life, Health, News, Video

Wellness Fair promotes different aspects of well-being, community

University of Miami students, faculty, staff and members of the community packed themselves under a tent on the Foote University Green Wednesday afternoon to learn about different resources both on and off campus that pertain to well-being.

The Wellness Fair, part of the Week of Well-Being, brought together different area organizations and businesses to share their services with attendees. The event was designed to target all areas of well-being, including physical, mental, spiritual, financial and communal.

The Cards for a Cause booth was focused on communal health; participants wrote uplifting greeting cards for children and military veterans. Sheri Virok, the event coordinator and benefits manager for UM’s human resources and benefits office, said the project started as a simple idea.

“We’ve had an unbelievable response to them — everyone wants to write on a card,” Virok said. “Hopefully, it will make someone feel a lot better.”

The cards will be delivered to different children’s and veteran’s hospitals later next week. Virok approximates that the number of cards delivered will be in the thousands. One of those cards delivered will be one that senior Isabella Fiermonte wrote for an injured veteran. She said she took the time while writing to think about her well-being and others.

“They give up their well-being for all of us,” Fiermonte said. “It’s the least any of us can do. We have to be thankful for what we have.”

University-affiliated booths were not the only ones taking part in the Wellness Fair as outside organizations and companies were invited to showcase their products. Some of the booths present ranged from a gourmet food delivery service to massage therapy. Both were among the more popular booths at the fair. Freshman Morgan Boone said that one of the reason she stopped by the fair on her way to class was because the variety of different booths, including the massage therapy booth, intrigued her.

“I saw that they were giving massages,” Boone said, “Who wouldn’t want a mid-day massage along with food to keep your wellness in check?”

All of the Week of Well-Being events are part of an effort to raise awareness and participation in wellness within the UM community and to change habits, according to Student Accounts Advisor Shaming Gilmore.

“It’s important to always keep exercising wellness as part of your lifestyle,” Gilmore said. “If you’ve tried something that doesn’t work, try something different.”

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...