Blogs, U Musings

U Musings: How to fight off a cold in Miami

Have you gotten sick recently? It sucks because, as a college student, you don’t have time to focus on healing yourself. Because of that, you end up being sick a lot longer than you were supposed to be, hacking, coughing and sneezing while trying to also keep your grades up. Getting sick in college is a bummer, but getting sick here in Miami is even worse.

It’s warm here in Miami, so in the winter, it’s not like you get sick because you forgot to bundle up when you went outside. You get sick because a virus managed to one up your immune system. And then, once you have the cold, you wonder how to get rid of it. You’re already in a warm climate, so warming up isn’t going to help. How do you fight this thing? You end up overloading on cough syrup and hoping you can snuff the cold out.

There are a couple of ways that are recommended to help get rid of a cold, but as a college student, we don’t have time to take the recommended steps. News in Health, a monthly newsletter from the National Institutes of Health, provides a few options.

The first suggested solution is to get plenty of rest, which is nearly impossible. There are classes to go to, work to be done and tests to be taken, so there’s no time to lie around and sleep off a cold.

The second tip can actually be implemented to help get rid of your cold: stay hydrated. The University of Miami helps to make this easy by having the filtered hydration stations all over campus. Just grab a water bottle before you leave your dorm and you’re ready to go. If you’re not staying hydrated, it’s all on you.

The third suggested tip to get rid of your cold is something I’ve already mentioned: take medication for your symptoms. This not only makes you feel better, but also helps you concentrate so you can get all your work done without feeling awful.

There are a couple of ways to combat colds as a college student. Since sleeping it off is practically impossible due to our busy schedules, staying hydrated and responsibly medicated are great ways to get rid of your cold faster. These methods will not only help you on the road back to healthy, but also allow you to get all your work done without suffering too much.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user DarkoStojanovic.

About Author

Virginia Colkley

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...