Administration, Campus Life, News

President Julio Frenk establishes April 8 as Founder’s Day

April 8 will now be known as Founder’s Day at the University of Miami, memorializing the date the school was founded in 1925.

President Julio Frenk announced the new tradition on Friday, the school’s 91st anniversary of being founded. In the letter emailed to students and faculty, Dr. Frenk said the original charter serves as the mark of the beginning of the school’s journey to its centennial in nine years. Since taking over, he has said he would like to transform the school by 2025.

He wrote that his eight initiatives – including 100 new talents for 100 years, problem-based interdisciplinary collaboration, hemispheric connections and innovation, development of a culture of belonging and a university-wide platform for educational investment in basic and applied science and engineering – would all help the university reach its transformative goal.

“Together with a concurrent ninth initiative to transform the academic health system, we are well on the way to ensuring that we are the Hemispheric, Excellent, Relevant, and Exemplary University by 2025,” Dr. Frenk wrote in the letter.

He also wrote that the charter serves as a reminder of how far the university has come in terms of diversity, and how far it still has to go in order to be more inclusive.

“Issues of diversity, inclusion, and respect have been much on my mind. I am very proud of the diversity of our campuses today, and the charter is a reminder of how far we have come: all of the signing founders were white and only two were women, including Bertha M. Foster, founding dean of the Frost School of Music.”

In closing, Frenk directed readers to his remarks from last weekend at Yale University, where he was given the Bouchet Leadership Award, named after the first African American to earn a Ph.D in the United States.

The national award was established at Yale in 2002 and is given to leaders who have made strides in diversifying higher education, are outstanding in their fields and are exemplary to those they lead.

William Riggin

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...