Campus Life, Health, News

Adventure-racing champion Robyn Benincasa visits UM

Adventure-racing world champion and keynote speaker Robyn Benincasa was in the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse Tuesday to discuss the key elements of successful leadership and teamwork.

Benincasa and her team won the 2006 Eco-Challenge, a trek of hundreds of miles through the jungles of Borneo, the third-largest island in the world, in addition to numerous other adventure races. Through these experiences, she learned the value of teamwork and leadership, and was passing on her lesson to an audience at UM.

“The secret to long-term success is to work as a team,” Benincasa said. “The greatest results happen when people connect.”

After going through a total of six hip replacements, Benincasa retired from her adventure-racing career and founded Project Athena, an organization which encourages women who have gone through life-altering medical setbacks to “live their adventurous dream.” She takes survivors of medical trauma on adventures such as hiking through the Grand Canyon, running a marathon on the Great Wall of China, and her upcoming 120-mile hiking, cycling and kayaking trip from Key Largo to Key West. Benincasa was featured as a 2014 CNN Hero for her work.

Benincasa was speaking as part of UM’s Week of Well-Being, a week dedicated to encouraging focus on physical, psychological, interpersonal and occupational wellness in the community.

“Great leaders embrace their setbacks as a chance to learn,” Benincasa said.

Benincasa is also a New York Times best-selling author with her 2012 book “How Winning Works,” and a top-rated keynote speaker. She holds three world records, including greatest distance on a stand up paddleboard on flat water in 24 hours.

The speaker encouraged teamwork throughout the event.

“We don’t achieve the greatest heights by stepping on the backs of our opponents, but rather by putting our teammates on our shoulders.”

Feature photo courtesy Robyn Benincasa

About Author

David Ufberg

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...