Opinion, Satire

Students outraged that professor prioritizes academics over social media

Thalia Garcia // Staff Illustrator

Thalia Garcia // Staff Illustrator

History professor Neal Smith has been criticized recently for his apparent lack of concern for the social-media time commitments of students. Smith has been accused of being intentionally ignorant of the needs of students and for assigning homework that is “pointless and boring.”

“Does he not realize that I need to check Facebook every two minutes, Twitter every five minutes and Instagram every four?” asked sophomore Emma Nichols. “He assigned a reading that was from an actual book. Are you kidding me? It’s just crazy that a man who has dedicated his life to academia and scholarly publications can be so much dumber than a group of 20-year-olds who assess their self-worth using Facebook likes.”

Junior Daniel Owens expressed a similar sentiment.

“I need to flip back to my Facebook tab four times every minute in case a person I vaguely knew in high school posts a picture of himself clearly inebriated. Or what if I post a picture from my weekend and need to check for notifications? That’s simply impossible to do with the work that Smith assigns. He just doesn’t accommodate the superficial desire for social-media recognition that will further my hopeless journey towards unattainable self-actualization,” Owens said.

Both Nichols and Owens explained that between the classes they skip on a weekly basis, social media and nothing else, they just do not have time to read the assigned chapters.

Smith, a professor of post-classical European history, has tried to defend his teaching methods.

“I simply assigned a 30-page reading about Johannes Gutenberg and the invention of the printing press,” Smith said. “I didn’t think it was unreasonable. It is a fascinating chapter that effectively shows how crucial the printing press was to the dissemination of information to the mass public and how it began a new era of education and information techniques. The Holy Roman Empire used it to great effect to spread – wait, are you actually still listening? By this point most of my students are looking at Instagram pictures that were posted 20 weeks ago by people they’ve never met in person.”

Conner Barrett is a freshman majoring in political science. The quotations used in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real entities is purely coincidental.

Conner Barrett

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was not going to let his Hurricanes be denied. ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...