Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker discusses religious Senate seats, positions ratified

Discussion about Religious Organizations in Senate

During his last day, Speaker of the Senate Jeff Sznapstajler brought up the discussion of religious seats in Senate, a conversation that started when both MSUM and Hillel presented bills for positions of their own in Student Government Senate.

The consensus among the senators was that a round table should be set up with the heads of all of the religious organizations. Then, either the speaker of the Senate or someone else would be assigned to specifically voice the concerns of the leaders to the Senate during meetings.

Sznapstajler believed that it would be a “good use of the speaker’s time to meet with the heads of all these organizations.”

Although the discussion was about religious organizations, Senator Candice Johnson brought up the issue of how students perceive Senate. Allie Hussey, chief justice of the student Supreme Court, reminded senators that their role is to represent their constituents.

“The senators should consider the needs of all their constituents, which may include students with religious needs. Whether it may be a Jewish student in the School of Business or a Muslim student who is a freshman, those students do have a senator to voice their concerns to,” Hussey said.

Aaron Gluck, parliamentarian to Senate, said having senators be more involved with their constituencies would allow them to speak for the students of a bill. Gluck said it would alleviate the frustration he witnessed when the students who presented the religious seat bills then had to wait outside the Senate Room during the deliberation process.

Positions Ratified

• The end of the semester brings new appointments to executive positions on Elections Commission, Category 5 and the Supreme Court.
  • For the Elections Commission, the new chairperson is Claudia Nunes and the new vice chairperson is Vishal Lakshmanan.
  • Category 5 elected Kierin Mukerjee as the new chairperson and Adam Schmidt as the new vice chairperson.

Finally, Devin Fitzgerald was selected as the new Supreme Court chief justice.

Jorge Chabo

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...