Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker discusses religious Senate seats, positions ratified

Discussion about Religious Organizations in Senate

During his last day, Speaker of the Senate Jeff Sznapstajler brought up the discussion of religious seats in Senate, a conversation that started when both MSUM and Hillel presented bills for positions of their own in Student Government Senate.

The consensus among the senators was that a round table should be set up with the heads of all of the religious organizations. Then, either the speaker of the Senate or someone else would be assigned to specifically voice the concerns of the leaders to the Senate during meetings.

Sznapstajler believed that it would be a “good use of the speaker’s time to meet with the heads of all these organizations.”

Although the discussion was about religious organizations, Senator Candice Johnson brought up the issue of how students perceive Senate. Allie Hussey, chief justice of the student Supreme Court, reminded senators that their role is to represent their constituents.

“The senators should consider the needs of all their constituents, which may include students with religious needs. Whether it may be a Jewish student in the School of Business or a Muslim student who is a freshman, those students do have a senator to voice their concerns to,” Hussey said.

Aaron Gluck, parliamentarian to Senate, said having senators be more involved with their constituencies would allow them to speak for the students of a bill. Gluck said it would alleviate the frustration he witnessed when the students who presented the religious seat bills then had to wait outside the Senate Room during the deliberation process.

Positions Ratified

• The end of the semester brings new appointments to executive positions on Elections Commission, Category 5 and the Supreme Court.
  • For the Elections Commission, the new chairperson is Claudia Nunes and the new vice chairperson is Vishal Lakshmanan.
  • Category 5 elected Kierin Mukerjee as the new chairperson and Adam Schmidt as the new vice chairperson.

Finally, Devin Fitzgerald was selected as the new Supreme Court chief justice.

Jorge Chabo

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...