Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker discusses religious Senate seats, positions ratified

Discussion about Religious Organizations in Senate

During his last day, Speaker of the Senate Jeff Sznapstajler brought up the discussion of religious seats in Senate, a conversation that started when both MSUM and Hillel presented bills for positions of their own in Student Government Senate.

The consensus among the senators was that a round table should be set up with the heads of all of the religious organizations. Then, either the speaker of the Senate or someone else would be assigned to specifically voice the concerns of the leaders to the Senate during meetings.

Sznapstajler believed that it would be a “good use of the speaker’s time to meet with the heads of all these organizations.”

Although the discussion was about religious organizations, Senator Candice Johnson brought up the issue of how students perceive Senate. Allie Hussey, chief justice of the student Supreme Court, reminded senators that their role is to represent their constituents.

“The senators should consider the needs of all their constituents, which may include students with religious needs. Whether it may be a Jewish student in the School of Business or a Muslim student who is a freshman, those students do have a senator to voice their concerns to,” Hussey said.

Aaron Gluck, parliamentarian to Senate, said having senators be more involved with their constituencies would allow them to speak for the students of a bill. Gluck said it would alleviate the frustration he witnessed when the students who presented the religious seat bills then had to wait outside the Senate Room during the deliberation process.

Positions Ratified

• The end of the semester brings new appointments to executive positions on Elections Commission, Category 5 and the Supreme Court.
  • For the Elections Commission, the new chairperson is Claudia Nunes and the new vice chairperson is Vishal Lakshmanan.
  • Category 5 elected Kierin Mukerjee as the new chairperson and Adam Schmidt as the new vice chairperson.

Finally, Devin Fitzgerald was selected as the new Supreme Court chief justice.

Jorge Chabo

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...