Campus Life, International, News

Second day of I-Week honors victims of terrorism acts

Students learn about different cultures and enjoy free food at the Middle Eastern night for the Council of International Students and Organizations' International Week at the Lakeside Patio Tuesday evening. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Students learn about different cultures and enjoy free food at the Middle Eastern night for the Council of International Students and Organizations’ International Week at the Lakeside Patio Tuesday evening. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

The second day of International Week (I-Week) had an underlying somberness despite festive performances and crafts that celebrated cultures from around the world. On Tuesday, organizers took time throughout Middle-Eastern and Africa Night to remember the victims of acts of terror.

There was a moment of silence before performances started at 7 p.m., and throughout the day, attendees could write positive messages on cards that will be sent by the United Nations to those affected by the recent tragedies.

Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO) Vice President Avisha Gopalakrishna said before the performance started that I-Week, which has been on campus for more than 40 years, was not just a week of celebrating diversity, but also a time to stand in solidarity with those afflicted by extreme violence.

For Middle-Eastern and Africa night, the organizers were determined to dispel the idea that terrorism has a face or that it originated from a specific region.

“We hope by the end of this week that we can showcase the fact that terror has no religion, no caste and no race,” Gopalakrishna said.

Maheshi Pathirana, chair of Middle-Eastern and Africa night, said the night was a tool to show that the faraway regions are more than what the media makes them out to be.

“We want to show that these cultures have a rich background, that they have a culture so broad that we can only marvel at it. That is what we want to show to UM,” Pathirana said.

Cultural performances showcased dances from the Middle East and Africa, including a belly dancer and tiki dances. The section of the patio full of tents, nicknamed the bazaar, provided attendees with materials to craft their own African bracelets. Guests could also receive customized henna designs, enjoy African and Arabic nuts and taste Palestinian food.

Asmaa Odeh, a junior from Palestine who also is the founder of Food for U, a program that teaches students how to make nutritional food, made her own cultural dishes for I-Week. Using pita bread, she made Musakhan, a traditional Palestinian recipe Odeh likens to an “Arabic pizza.” A special part of the dish is that it is a healthy alternative for students and it can be made quickly and cheaply.

“It was fate that I could share my heritage with the campus,” Odeh said.

Marcus Lim

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...