Campus Life, International, News

Second day of I-Week honors victims of terrorism acts

Students learn about different cultures and enjoy free food at the Middle Eastern night for the Council of International Students and Organizations' International Week at the Lakeside Patio Tuesday evening. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Students learn about different cultures and enjoy free food at the Middle Eastern night for the Council of International Students and Organizations’ International Week at the Lakeside Patio Tuesday evening. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

The second day of International Week (I-Week) had an underlying somberness despite festive performances and crafts that celebrated cultures from around the world. On Tuesday, organizers took time throughout Middle-Eastern and Africa Night to remember the victims of acts of terror.

There was a moment of silence before performances started at 7 p.m., and throughout the day, attendees could write positive messages on cards that will be sent by the United Nations to those affected by the recent tragedies.

Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO) Vice President Avisha Gopalakrishna said before the performance started that I-Week, which has been on campus for more than 40 years, was not just a week of celebrating diversity, but also a time to stand in solidarity with those afflicted by extreme violence.

For Middle-Eastern and Africa night, the organizers were determined to dispel the idea that terrorism has a face or that it originated from a specific region.

“We hope by the end of this week that we can showcase the fact that terror has no religion, no caste and no race,” Gopalakrishna said.

Maheshi Pathirana, chair of Middle-Eastern and Africa night, said the night was a tool to show that the faraway regions are more than what the media makes them out to be.

“We want to show that these cultures have a rich background, that they have a culture so broad that we can only marvel at it. That is what we want to show to UM,” Pathirana said.

Cultural performances showcased dances from the Middle East and Africa, including a belly dancer and tiki dances. The section of the patio full of tents, nicknamed the bazaar, provided attendees with materials to craft their own African bracelets. Guests could also receive customized henna designs, enjoy African and Arabic nuts and taste Palestinian food.

Asmaa Odeh, a junior from Palestine who also is the founder of Food for U, a program that teaches students how to make nutritional food, made her own cultural dishes for I-Week. Using pita bread, she made Musakhan, a traditional Palestinian recipe Odeh likens to an “Arabic pizza.” A special part of the dish is that it is a healthy alternative for students and it can be made quickly and cheaply.

“It was fate that I could share my heritage with the campus,” Odeh said.

Marcus Lim

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...