Miracle Mile offers variety of shopping, dining, entertainment options

Enjoy locally sourced, craft-made Blue Crab Hushpuppies, Beef Jerky, and Fried Spare Ribs at The Local. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Just a 10-minute drive from campus, Miracle Mile is the epicenter of downtown Coral Gables. Palm trees and Spanish-style architecture line the way to brunch spots, bookstores and wine bars on both sides of the mile stretch, all in perfect walking distance from cultural hotspots like the Actors’ Playhouse and the Coral Gables Museum. Miracle Mile and the greater Business Improvement District (BID) is the perfect place to bring a date, visiting family or friends. Here are some shopping, dining and entertainment destinations on the Mile that offer a mix of activities.

Shopping 

The main road may be known for its bridal boutiques, but the BID has an eclectic array of shops for every kind of buyer. Perhaps the most noteworthy is the nationally-acclaimed Books & Books, a bookstore and cafe that holds dinner parties and readings with world-renowned authors. Besides boasting a wide array of books and treats, it’s also the famous hangout of UM faculty and students from the creative writing department. If vintage shopping is more your thing, check out Retro City Collectibles for dorm decor and geeky goods like trading cards and action figures. For the Miami fashionista, there are a handful of upscale boutiques lining the street.

Dining

Even if you’ve never been, start planning your return trip, because Miracle Mile is a culinary hotspot of Coral Gables. There are trendy brunch spots such as The Local and Threefold Cafe, which have delicious breakfast options, as well as cutting-edge eateries like Swine and Sushisamba. There are also romantic dining destinations like Cibo Wine Bar and Love is Blind, where the ahi tuna tacos are nothing short of heavenly. There are foods from all cultures, from Caribbean at Ortanique on the Mile to German at Fritz & Franz Bierhaus. For treats and small eats, try the gelato at VIXI Gelateria or anything chocolate at Chocolate Fashion. With dozens of bars, bakeries and gastropubs, you’re bound to find something that suits your taste buds.

Entertainment 

There is more to do than shop and eat in the BID, so if you’re seeking something else to do, look no further. Sweat it up before brunch at Orangetheory Fitness or Pilates ProWorks, or skip dessert and head to Wolfe’s Wine Shoppe after dinner. For fans of the arts, RDZ Fine Art and Amore Gelato Art Caffe boast the works of local artists and the Coral Gables Museum offers a glimpse of history. The Actors’ Playhouse at the Miracle Theater always offers live shows and the Coral Gables Art Cinema hosts indie movies and the occasional live-streamed event.

Stay

If your family is visiting or you just need a brief getaway, check out the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables or The Westin Colonnade Coral Gables. Both are within walking distance of all the restaurants, shops and hotspots of Miracle Mile. The Hyatt’s pool and fountained lobby are the perfect spots for a lazy weekend, whether you’re with family or your date. The Westin is perfect for an evening of dinner and drinks at Sushisamba and its open-air patio is just downstairs. Both are the best way to get an upscale Miami experience without the noise of South Beach.

Haley Walker

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...