Baseball, Sports

Miami’s baseball team exceeds fan expectations

Redshirt junior first baseman Christopher Barr (17) prepares to hit during the Canes’ 7-4 win over Clemson Sunday afternoon at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Barr leads the team with seven stolen bases and is also second on the team with a combined eight sacrifice bunts and flies.

Redshirt junior first baseman Christopher Barr (17) prepares to hit during the Canes’ 7-4 win over UNC Sunday afternoon at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Barr leads the team with seven stolen bases and is also second on the team with a combined eight sacrifice bunts and flies.

The Hurricanes entered this season with great expectations, and those expectations have only soared higher over the course of the first half of the regular season. Miami has climbed all the way to No. 2 in several national polls, only trailing Florida. The Canes have posted an impressive record of 24-4 and have won 19 of their last 21 games, including their last eight in a row.

So, what has been the key to Miami’s success this season?

The answer is that the Canes are one of the best small-ball teams in the nation. While they do have one of the best power hitters in the ACC in junior catcher Zack Collins, everyone else in the lineup manufactures runs.

The Canes currently lead the ACC with 37 sacrifice bunts and have 16 sacrifice flies on top of that. The team also has plenty of speedsters and has racked up 24 stolen bases so far this season. No player has embraced this philosophy of small ball quite like junior first baseman Christopher Barr. A starter in all 28 games, Barr leads the team with seven stolen bases and hasn’t been caught stealing once this season. He is also second on the team with a combined eight sacrifice bunts and flies.

In addition, the Canes have brought their A-game against some of the best teams in the nation so far this season. They went 8-1 overall against three ranked ACC foes in Louisville, Clemson and North Carolina in the last three weekends and are in the driver’s seat to bring home the ACC regular season title. The only team that has beaten the Canes in a series this season is the top-ranked Florida Gators. That series was an early season matchup and Miami hadn’t quite hit its stride at the plate yet. The result could be quite different if the two meet each other again later in the year during postseason play.

Canes fans couldn’t have hoped for much more than what the team has given them through the first half of the season. Ever since last season’s disappointing ending in Omaha, the team’s goal has been to get back to the College World Series come June. If the first half of the season is any indication, the Canes are well on their way to Omaha.

Cody Brown

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...