Duly Noted, Opinion

Protection from uncomfortable ideas not part of package

OMonday, an anonymous group of students delivered a letter to President Julio Frenk in response to a Trump demonstration that happened outside of Richter Library last Thursday, in which demonstrators held up signs promoting Trump campaign slogans such as “Build a Wall.” The letter, as submitted, asked for the university to protect “the physical and emotional well-being of students of color.”

The letter asks the university to criticize the demonstration’s use of “racially coded and exclusionist” messages, appealing to the idea that minority and immigrant students should not be forced to be in an environment that “condones hostility” toward them.

But is the university really obligated to shut down the demonstration to create a safe space for students?

The idea that we should judge words and ideas based on their “coded” meanings is an extremely slippery slope. Let’s examine the incident at face value. The demonstration involved a group of students, some of our own peers, vocalizing their support for a political candidate and the Mexican border wall. Nowhere was there explicit or derogatory language, and as far as what has been reported, none of the demonstrators were violent or disrespectful to passersby.

What made students uncomfortable about the slogans were the unspoken associated ideas, not the words themselves. And of course, there are larger, more malicious implications behind the idea of building a wall.

But to silence speech based on the unspoken “coded” ideas is to act on assumption, not concrete danger. The letter asks us to assume that the demonstrators were advocating for the racist or sexist ideas associated with the Trump campaign, despite the fact that nothing in their demonstration did.

As someone who has vocally criticized Trump before, I understand the principle that protects my right to protest Trump is the same principle that protects these demonstrations. If we want to encourage a variety of ideas, the threshold for language that can be called “threatening” must be high.

It is not the university’s duty to shelter the emotional well-being of students. While keeping us out of real harm, the school also has a duty to prepare us for the complicated, diverse world ahead – diverse not only in terms of skin color, but also in terms of ideas. Not everyone is going to share our values and sensitivities. There will be ideas out there that make us uncomfortable and angry, but we cannot ask the university to punish or denounce them.

Jackie Yang is a sophomore majoring in English and neuroscience. Duly Noted runs the first Thursday of each month.

Feature photo courtesy Flickr user Michael Vadon.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...