Dear V

Dear V: Boyfriend’s fetishes becoming too extreme

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a year or so. We met on a fetish website and hit it off instantly, so we’re just as close to each other physically as we are emotionally, and we’ve shared a lot of unique moments.

We’ve enjoyed trying out new things in the bedroom. I’ve become a lot more sexually experienced because of him. We’ve tried BDSM and group sex, things I would never have the guts to try on my own. He’s helped me become comfortable with my body and exploring my sexuality; dating him has been a huge confidence boost.

Problem is, he’s starting to take things too far. He keeps asking for things he knows I can’t imagine doing. His most recent idea was dressing up like a baby and having me take care of him for a day. Diapers, bottles, blankets and all.

I’m not sure I can keep trying things that are this “out there.” It was exciting and brand new at first, but I’m starting to want to have normal sex again. I’m afraid of letting him down, but I don’t want to keep him from exploring everything he wants to.

Should I dump my fetish-fanatic boyfriend or try to work things out?

Sincerely,

Missing the Norm

Dear Missing the Norm,

Wow, take a step back there – the guy pulls out his binky and you’re ready to call it quits!

How does that old saying go again? You scratch my back, I change your diaper?

In all seriousness, it’s good to try out new things in the bedroom with a partner that you trust. Exploring your sexuality can help you become more self-confident and can also help a couple connect on a deeper level.

I mean, hey, the occasional whip, blindfold or spank can be fun.

That said, there is a point when it all becomes too much. People get so caught up with pushing the limits that they forget to slow down and experience the other side of sex: the deep, emotional experience of intimacy. Passionate sex can help you feel a deeper bond with someone you care about.

Your guy isn’t going to know he’s pushing the envelope unless you tell him straight up. Tell him you feel that you’re both taking things a bit too far and you’d like to slow down. That doesn’t mean you can only have one type of sex from now on, but just that each romp in the sack doesn’t have to be limit-pushing and boundary-breaking.

He should be cool with taking things more slowly and pleased that you’re comfortable talking about these things with him. If he isn’t willing to cut back the heat, though, maybe it’s time to hit the road. You don’t want someone who’s selfish in the bedroom – sex is as much about giving as it is about taking.

Slow things down and see how it goes. Maybe you’ll end up connecting in a different way than you have before.

-V

Advice Columnist

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...