News Briefs 4/4: Student media editors-in-chief, CGIU, Irish debaters

New editors-in-chief at three student media publications

The editors-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook for the 2016-17 academic year have been announced. Candidates made presentations in front of the Board of Publications during the semester and the board then voted.

Asmae Fahmy will replace Rori Kotch as the editor-in-chief of Distraction Magazine. Fahmy will be a senior and is a journalism and psychology double major. She has worked for Distraction as loop editor and managing editor. She was born and reared in Miami.

Kaitlin Castillo will replace Emily Eidelman as the editor-in-chief of Ibis Yearbook. Castillo is a freshman majoring in marketing and minoring in advertising. She was academics co-editor during the 2015-16 academic year. She has lived in Miami her whole life.

Julie Harans will replace Nick Gangemi as editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane in her senior year. She has held positions at The Hurricane as copy editor, copy chief and managing editor. She is a journalism major and media management minor, originally from Baltimore, Maryland.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

UM students Grace Jean, Layla Nassar and Rowanne Ali were named 2016 Clinton Global Initiative University Resolution Winners for their Commitment to Action, Women in Next Generation Sciences (WINGS). More than 1,000 students converged at the University of California, Berkeley from April 1-3 for the event. Students presented their Commitments to Action based on the event’s five focus areas: education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty alleviation and public health.

UM to host Irish debaters

The University of Miami Debate Team will host the Irish Collegiate Debate Champions to debate the motion that “the political success of Donald J. Trump in the Republican primaries is a reflection of the demise of American democracy” on Monday. The debate will take place at 6 p.m. in the Activities Room South of the Shalala Student Center.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...