News Briefs 4/4: Student media editors-in-chief, CGIU, Irish debaters

New editors-in-chief at three student media publications

The editors-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook for the 2016-17 academic year have been announced. Candidates made presentations in front of the Board of Publications during the semester and the board then voted.

Asmae Fahmy will replace Rori Kotch as the editor-in-chief of Distraction Magazine. Fahmy will be a senior and is a journalism and psychology double major. She has worked for Distraction as loop editor and managing editor. She was born and reared in Miami.

Kaitlin Castillo will replace Emily Eidelman as the editor-in-chief of Ibis Yearbook. Castillo is a freshman majoring in marketing and minoring in advertising. She was academics co-editor during the 2015-16 academic year. She has lived in Miami her whole life.

Julie Harans will replace Nick Gangemi as editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane in her senior year. She has held positions at The Hurricane as copy editor, copy chief and managing editor. She is a journalism major and media management minor, originally from Baltimore, Maryland.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

UM students Grace Jean, Layla Nassar and Rowanne Ali were named 2016 Clinton Global Initiative University Resolution Winners for their Commitment to Action, Women in Next Generation Sciences (WINGS). More than 1,000 students converged at the University of California, Berkeley from April 1-3 for the event. Students presented their Commitments to Action based on the event’s five focus areas: education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty alleviation and public health.

UM to host Irish debaters

The University of Miami Debate Team will host the Irish Collegiate Debate Champions to debate the motion that “the political success of Donald J. Trump in the Republican primaries is a reflection of the demise of American democracy” on Monday. The debate will take place at 6 p.m. in the Activities Room South of the Shalala Student Center.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...