News Briefs 4/4: Student media editors-in-chief, CGIU, Irish debaters

New editors-in-chief at three student media publications

The editors-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook for the 2016-17 academic year have been announced. Candidates made presentations in front of the Board of Publications during the semester and the board then voted.

Asmae Fahmy will replace Rori Kotch as the editor-in-chief of Distraction Magazine. Fahmy will be a senior and is a journalism and psychology double major. She has worked for Distraction as loop editor and managing editor. She was born and reared in Miami.

Kaitlin Castillo will replace Emily Eidelman as the editor-in-chief of Ibis Yearbook. Castillo is a freshman majoring in marketing and minoring in advertising. She was academics co-editor during the 2015-16 academic year. She has lived in Miami her whole life.

Julie Harans will replace Nick Gangemi as editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane in her senior year. She has held positions at The Hurricane as copy editor, copy chief and managing editor. She is a journalism major and media management minor, originally from Baltimore, Maryland.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

UM students Grace Jean, Layla Nassar and Rowanne Ali were named 2016 Clinton Global Initiative University Resolution Winners for their Commitment to Action, Women in Next Generation Sciences (WINGS). More than 1,000 students converged at the University of California, Berkeley from April 1-3 for the event. Students presented their Commitments to Action based on the event’s five focus areas: education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty alleviation and public health.

UM to host Irish debaters

The University of Miami Debate Team will host the Irish Collegiate Debate Champions to debate the motion that “the political success of Donald J. Trump in the Republican primaries is a reflection of the demise of American democracy” on Monday. The debate will take place at 6 p.m. in the Activities Room South of the Shalala Student Center.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...