News Briefs 4/4: Student media editors-in-chief, CGIU, Irish debaters

New editors-in-chief at three student media publications

The editors-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane, Distraction Magazine and Ibis Yearbook for the 2016-17 academic year have been announced. Candidates made presentations in front of the Board of Publications during the semester and the board then voted.

Asmae Fahmy will replace Rori Kotch as the editor-in-chief of Distraction Magazine. Fahmy will be a senior and is a journalism and psychology double major. She has worked for Distraction as loop editor and managing editor. She was born and reared in Miami.

Kaitlin Castillo will replace Emily Eidelman as the editor-in-chief of Ibis Yearbook. Castillo is a freshman majoring in marketing and minoring in advertising. She was academics co-editor during the 2015-16 academic year. She has lived in Miami her whole life.

Julie Harans will replace Nick Gangemi as editor-in-chief of The Miami Hurricane in her senior year. She has held positions at The Hurricane as copy editor, copy chief and managing editor. She is a journalism major and media management minor, originally from Baltimore, Maryland.

Clinton Global Initiative University 

UM students Grace Jean, Layla Nassar and Rowanne Ali were named 2016 Clinton Global Initiative University Resolution Winners for their Commitment to Action, Women in Next Generation Sciences (WINGS). More than 1,000 students converged at the University of California, Berkeley from April 1-3 for the event. Students presented their Commitments to Action based on the event’s five focus areas: education, environment and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty alleviation and public health.

UM to host Irish debaters

The University of Miami Debate Team will host the Irish Collegiate Debate Champions to debate the motion that “the political success of Donald J. Trump in the Republican primaries is a reflection of the demise of American democracy” on Monday. The debate will take place at 6 p.m. in the Activities Room South of the Shalala Student Center.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...