Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Clemson, men’s tennis falls to Georgia Tech, Clemson

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Cane’s 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Canes’ 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The No. 7 Hurricanes women’s tennis team continued its dominant spring with a 7-0 sweep against No. 29 Clemson on Saturday. After a flawless month of March, the Canes are now riding a nine-match winning streak.

Miami battled through difficult weather conditions in South Carolina as wind gusts reached more than 30 miles per hour. “We had to embrace the environment today,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes (13-4, 8-2) clinched the match with No. 6 sophomore Sinead Lohan’s victory in straight sets. Sophomore Wendy Zhang recorded her first career win against a top-25 opponent, beating No. 20 Joana Eidukonyte in two sets.

“Wendy played a complete match today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “When she does that, she’s capable of good things.”

The men’s tennis team, on the other hand, would like a redo to its spring schedule. The Hurricanes have lost four consecutive matches after falling to Georgia Tech and Clemson over the weekend, dropping their record since the beginning of March to 3-8.

The Canes’ loss to Clemson on Sunday was the closer of the two affairs as they were defeated 4-3. The match started with the Canes (7-11, 2-6) trailing early when they lost the doubles point. Miami came back from a 3-1 deficit to tie Clemson with one singles match remaining, but freshman Fermin Calvo lost in straight sets to Clemson’s Austin Ansari.

The Canes did not fare any better when they faced Georgia Tech on Friday, losing 5-2 to the Yellow Jackets.

The Canes lost the doubles point and continued to struggle in singles play, as only Calvo and junior Jesse Flores came away with wins.

The men’s team next plays North Carolina State at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in Coral Gables, while the women’s team travels to North Carolina to play Wake Forest at 4 p.m. also on Friday.

Friday.

Tej Joshi

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...