Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Clemson, men’s tennis falls to Georgia Tech, Clemson

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Cane’s 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Canes’ 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The No. 7 Hurricanes women’s tennis team continued its dominant spring with a 7-0 sweep against No. 29 Clemson on Saturday. After a flawless month of March, the Canes are now riding a nine-match winning streak.

Miami battled through difficult weather conditions in South Carolina as wind gusts reached more than 30 miles per hour. “We had to embrace the environment today,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes (13-4, 8-2) clinched the match with No. 6 sophomore Sinead Lohan’s victory in straight sets. Sophomore Wendy Zhang recorded her first career win against a top-25 opponent, beating No. 20 Joana Eidukonyte in two sets.

“Wendy played a complete match today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “When she does that, she’s capable of good things.”

The men’s tennis team, on the other hand, would like a redo to its spring schedule. The Hurricanes have lost four consecutive matches after falling to Georgia Tech and Clemson over the weekend, dropping their record since the beginning of March to 3-8.

The Canes’ loss to Clemson on Sunday was the closer of the two affairs as they were defeated 4-3. The match started with the Canes (7-11, 2-6) trailing early when they lost the doubles point. Miami came back from a 3-1 deficit to tie Clemson with one singles match remaining, but freshman Fermin Calvo lost in straight sets to Clemson’s Austin Ansari.

The Canes did not fare any better when they faced Georgia Tech on Friday, losing 5-2 to the Yellow Jackets.

The Canes lost the doubles point and continued to struggle in singles play, as only Calvo and junior Jesse Flores came away with wins.

The men’s team next plays North Carolina State at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in Coral Gables, while the women’s team travels to North Carolina to play Wake Forest at 4 p.m. also on Friday.

Friday.

Tej Joshi

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...