Sports, Tennis

Miami women’s tennis beats Clemson, men’s tennis falls to Georgia Tech, Clemson

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Cane’s 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Wendy Zhang hits a forehand shot during the Canes’ 4-2 win over Ohio State in March. Zhang had her first career win over a top-25 opponent on Saturday against Clemson. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The No. 7 Hurricanes women’s tennis team continued its dominant spring with a 7-0 sweep against No. 29 Clemson on Saturday. After a flawless month of March, the Canes are now riding a nine-match winning streak.

Miami battled through difficult weather conditions in South Carolina as wind gusts reached more than 30 miles per hour. “We had to embrace the environment today,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes (13-4, 8-2) clinched the match with No. 6 sophomore Sinead Lohan’s victory in straight sets. Sophomore Wendy Zhang recorded her first career win against a top-25 opponent, beating No. 20 Joana Eidukonyte in two sets.

“Wendy played a complete match today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “When she does that, she’s capable of good things.”

The men’s tennis team, on the other hand, would like a redo to its spring schedule. The Hurricanes have lost four consecutive matches after falling to Georgia Tech and Clemson over the weekend, dropping their record since the beginning of March to 3-8.

The Canes’ loss to Clemson on Sunday was the closer of the two affairs as they were defeated 4-3. The match started with the Canes (7-11, 2-6) trailing early when they lost the doubles point. Miami came back from a 3-1 deficit to tie Clemson with one singles match remaining, but freshman Fermin Calvo lost in straight sets to Clemson’s Austin Ansari.

The Canes did not fare any better when they faced Georgia Tech on Friday, losing 5-2 to the Yellow Jackets.

The Canes lost the doubles point and continued to struggle in singles play, as only Calvo and junior Jesse Flores came away with wins.

The men’s team next plays North Carolina State at 2:30 p.m. on Friday in Coral Gables, while the women’s team travels to North Carolina to play Wake Forest at 4 p.m. also on Friday.

Friday.

Tej Joshi

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...