Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Canes track team competes in 2 major outdoor meets in Texas, Florida

Despite weather delays, the Hurricanes track and field team competed in two of the biggest outdoor meets in the nation from Thursday to Saturday: the 89th Annual Nike Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays and the 2016 Pepsi Florida Relays. The Texas Relays were held at the University of Texas in Austin, while the Florida Relays took place at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

In Austin, freshman Anne Den Otter placed sixth in the women’s 1,500-meter Section B final on Thursday with a new personal-best time of 4:38.45. Friday saw strong showings from Gian Piero Ragonesi and senior John-Patrick Friday.

Ragonesi’s throw of 52.05 meters earned him the bronze in men’s discus. The junior closed out his weekend by placing sixth in the shot put, notching an 18.11-meter throw. Friday had top-10 finishes in the men’s long jump and men’s triple jump, placing sixth in the long jump at 7.22 meters and seventh in the triple jump at 15.01 meters.

The final day of the Texas Relays on Saturday was quite eventful for the Canes. Senior ACC Indoor Champion Dakota Dailey-Harris finished fifth in the women’s high jump at 1.74 meters. Senior Alysha Newman won the silver medal in women’s pole vault, clearing 4.30 meters.

The women’s 4×100-meter relay of Shakima Wimbley, Carolyn Brown, Aiyanna Stiverne and Ebony Morrison ran a season-best 44.33 seconds to finish fifth in the final. Morrison later won the bronze in the women’s 100-meter hurdles final with a season-best 13.34 seconds.

“I saw a lot of positives even though they may not show in the results,” Miami Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem said to HurricaneSports.com.

In Gainesville, the Canes achieved quite a few season and personal bests. On Thursday, redshirt sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau ran a new personal best and the fifth-fastest women’s 5,000-meter time in school history, clocking in at 17:27.64. The open men’s 400-meter trio of Breon Mullings, Joseph Ryan and Anthony Wolliston ran season-best times of 48.47, 49.06 and 50.82 seconds, respectively. In the college edition of the same event on Friday, Henri Delauze ran a season-best 47.38.

Friday also saw Florida Relays action from sophomore distance runner Luke Dublirer and the men’s 4×400-meter relay. In the men’s 800-meter, Dublirer ran a personal-best 1:56.35, while Mullings, Delauze, Ryan and Wolliston ran a season-best 4×400-meter relay time of 3:11.48.

Chloe Harrison

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...