Campus Life, Community, Crime and Safety, News

Canes Emergency Response Team holds simulation training session

CERT Vice President of Training Harry Levine administers aid outside of the Memorial building during the CERT Disaster Readiness Exercise Sunday. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Canes Emergency Response Team (CERT) Vice President of Training Harry Levine administers aid outside of the Dooley Memorial Building during the CERT Disaster Readiness Exercise Sunday. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The student-led Canes Emergency Response Team (CERT) played out what it might be like to respond to an explosion Sunday morning at Dooley Memorial Building.

With Coral Gables Fire and Rescue, Miami-Dade Emergency Management and Miami-Dade’s Citizens Emergency Response Team helping out, CERT and advisors from the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) practiced the correct procedures to take if and when a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE) takes place.

Sean Fay from the OEM explained the scenario: a propane-powered forklift had exploded and victims were injured inside and outside of Dooley, as well as in the adjacent parking lot, where a car accident occurred in the chaotic aftermath. The volunteers who acted as victims were given prosthetic wounds and were often covered in fake blood, lying on the ground acting hurt. Fay said there is a “shock factor” to responding to an emergency and the OEM tried to make it as realistic as possible to recreate that.

“The CERT team did a great job; they learned not only how to do emergency response, but also how to control the scene,” Fay said.

Controlling the scene meant staying organized and calm while performing a number of emergency response procedures such as using a fire extinguisher on a live fire, search and rescue, medical triage, medical transport or evacuation and emergency medical care. CERT responders are considered “force multipliers” for first responders, such as firefighters and paramedics, offering them extra hands, eyes and ears, according to Fay.

They ran through the scenario twice so they could review what they had done and improve upon their performance, according to Fay.

Assistant Vice President of Operations for CERT Denise Manfrini said that it is important they’re not just dealing with theoretical scenarios but are practicing hands-on emergency response.

“It was successful,” Manfrini said. “Everyone got a chance to practice a variety of skills.”

The CERT exercise occurs once a semester, although the group trains on a smaller scale throughout the semester. Fay said the OEM offers classes and training in a “non-threatening environment” to any interested student organizations.

William Riggin

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Canes Emergency Response Team holds simulation training session”

1. Brian R. Bellows, CERT Co-Founder, Class of '07 says:

I’m so very proud to see our legacy continue, and see the CERT team be so successful! Congratulations everyone! From one of the old guys!

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...