Campus Life, Community, Crime and Safety, News

Canes Emergency Response Team holds simulation training session

CERT Vice President of Training Harry Levine administers aid outside of the Memorial building during the CERT Disaster Readiness Exercise Sunday. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Canes Emergency Response Team (CERT) Vice President of Training Harry Levine administers aid outside of the Dooley Memorial Building during the CERT Disaster Readiness Exercise Sunday. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The student-led Canes Emergency Response Team (CERT) played out what it might be like to respond to an explosion Sunday morning at Dooley Memorial Building.

With Coral Gables Fire and Rescue, Miami-Dade Emergency Management and Miami-Dade’s Citizens Emergency Response Team helping out, CERT and advisors from the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) practiced the correct procedures to take if and when a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE) takes place.

Sean Fay from the OEM explained the scenario: a propane-powered forklift had exploded and victims were injured inside and outside of Dooley, as well as in the adjacent parking lot, where a car accident occurred in the chaotic aftermath. The volunteers who acted as victims were given prosthetic wounds and were often covered in fake blood, lying on the ground acting hurt. Fay said there is a “shock factor” to responding to an emergency and the OEM tried to make it as realistic as possible to recreate that.

“The CERT team did a great job; they learned not only how to do emergency response, but also how to control the scene,” Fay said.

Controlling the scene meant staying organized and calm while performing a number of emergency response procedures such as using a fire extinguisher on a live fire, search and rescue, medical triage, medical transport or evacuation and emergency medical care. CERT responders are considered “force multipliers” for first responders, such as firefighters and paramedics, offering them extra hands, eyes and ears, according to Fay.

They ran through the scenario twice so they could review what they had done and improve upon their performance, according to Fay.

Assistant Vice President of Operations for CERT Denise Manfrini said that it is important they’re not just dealing with theoretical scenarios but are practicing hands-on emergency response.

“It was successful,” Manfrini said. “Everyone got a chance to practice a variety of skills.”

The CERT exercise occurs once a semester, although the group trains on a smaller scale throughout the semester. Fay said the OEM offers classes and training in a “non-threatening environment” to any interested student organizations.

About Author

William Riggin

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Canes Emergency Response Team holds simulation training session”

1. Brian R. Bellows, CERT Co-Founder, Class of '07 says:

I’m so very proud to see our legacy continue, and see the CERT team be so successful! Congratulations everyone! From one of the old guys!

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...