Campus Life, News

We Are All Americans forum focuses on immigration myths

small group of students gathered in a Dooley Memorial classroom Tuesday night to discuss immigration and activism in America.

We Are All Americans, sponsored by Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity and the Alliance of Latin American Students (ALAS), focused on dispelling common myths and misconceptions surrounding modern-day immigration. The event hosted two guest speakers, including Maria Mejia, who helps organize events for Service Employees International Union (SEIU). SEIU is a labor union that fights for different workers’ rights, such as Fight for 15, in Miami-Dade and surrounding counties.

An immigrant herself, Mejia spoke about working in Little Havana, where the illegal-immigrant population is high and special volunteer events in the community help residents apply for citizenship. She said that providing people with opportunities to learn about their rights is crucial during an election year.

“It’s important for people to understand what rights they have,” Mejia said. “People only see what is said in the media and by voting, we have the voice to say whether we accept these things or not.”

Students were shown different video clips that include myths and common misconceptions of illegal immigrants – particularly Latinos. Some of the clips included businessman and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and writer and political commentator Ann Coulter stating that illegal immigration is one of the biggest and most important issues facing America. These particular comments were what inspired the event, according to UM senior and event coordinator Rebecca Garcia.

“It’s not a topic that is talked about enough – at least in a very substantive manner,” Garcia said. “It’s an important discussion to have in light of all the racist, xenophobic discussion going around.”

The event also featured a guest speaker, Angie, who shared her story of emigration from her native gang-infected country of Honduras. Through tears and a cracked voice, she recounted the experience of fleeing her country after being threatened with death upon witnessing the kidnapping of her grandmother and aunt. Angie did not disclose her last name because she feared that the Honduran gangs could find her.

“My story is one of millions,” Angie said, fighting back tears.

Angie’s tale struck junior and Lambda Theta Phi brother Eunorick Duncan, who described it as “heartbreaking” and “hard to listen to.”

“To hear someone, who’s an immigrant, having to work their way to be just where you’re at is hard,” Duncan said. “We have to look through their eyes and see what their story really is.”

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...