Campus Life, News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Speaker pro tempore elected, new positions created

Eight bills authored by next year’s Student Government (SG) Executive Board were passed and a new speaker pro tempore was voted in at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

Henson Destine was elected speaker pro tempore by the Senate; he ran unopposed. The position holds the usual voting rights of a senator and is tasked with overseeing Senate committees and coordinating the Council of Chairs. It also presides over Senate meetings when the speaker of the Senate is absent.

The bills passed were all amendments to SG statutes, namely a bill that separated the chief of staff position into two new positions: director of academic affairs and director of non-academic affairs.

Another bill passed creating a Board of Communications that adds four new positions beneath the director of communications to aid in marketing and public relations of SG. The position of deputy director of communications was removed.

The board will comprise no more than four members and no less than two in order to handle graphic design, photography, video, social media and the SG website. The SG president will appoint students to the positions after they apply and interview with the director of communications, who will make recommendations to the president.

Whereas chief of staff used to be sixth in the order of executive privilege – the order of succession when a SG executive is absent – the director of academic affairs and director of university affairs are now sixth and seventh, respectively.

Other bills amended the duties of the executive secretary and executive-at-large internal, as well as adjusted parts of SG statutes to include the names of new positions.

Notes:

• Get Out the Vote has registered about 400 voters so far and is hoping to reach 1,000 voters by the general election this fall. They are also able to help voters register in other states outside of Florida.
  • The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is holding a charity basketball tournament on Friday at 5 p.m. at the Hecht Athletic Center. Tickets are $5. There will also be a Miss IFC Pageant that night.
  • Matthew Phillips was elected president of the Graduate Student Association; he will take over after president Edwing Medina steps down at the end of this academic year.

William Riggin

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...