Campus Life, News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Speaker pro tempore elected, new positions created

Eight bills authored by next year’s Student Government (SG) Executive Board were passed and a new speaker pro tempore was voted in at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

Henson Destine was elected speaker pro tempore by the Senate; he ran unopposed. The position holds the usual voting rights of a senator and is tasked with overseeing Senate committees and coordinating the Council of Chairs. It also presides over Senate meetings when the speaker of the Senate is absent.

The bills passed were all amendments to SG statutes, namely a bill that separated the chief of staff position into two new positions: director of academic affairs and director of non-academic affairs.

Another bill passed creating a Board of Communications that adds four new positions beneath the director of communications to aid in marketing and public relations of SG. The position of deputy director of communications was removed.

The board will comprise no more than four members and no less than two in order to handle graphic design, photography, video, social media and the SG website. The SG president will appoint students to the positions after they apply and interview with the director of communications, who will make recommendations to the president.

Whereas chief of staff used to be sixth in the order of executive privilege – the order of succession when a SG executive is absent – the director of academic affairs and director of university affairs are now sixth and seventh, respectively.

Other bills amended the duties of the executive secretary and executive-at-large internal, as well as adjusted parts of SG statutes to include the names of new positions.

Notes:

• Get Out the Vote has registered about 400 voters so far and is hoping to reach 1,000 voters by the general election this fall. They are also able to help voters register in other states outside of Florida.
  • The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is holding a charity basketball tournament on Friday at 5 p.m. at the Hecht Athletic Center. Tickets are $5. There will also be a Miss IFC Pageant that night.
  • Matthew Phillips was elected president of the Graduate Student Association; he will take over after president Edwing Medina steps down at the end of this academic year.

About Author

William Riggin

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...