Campus Life, News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Speaker pro tempore elected, new positions created

Eight bills authored by next year’s Student Government (SG) Executive Board were passed and a new speaker pro tempore was voted in at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

Henson Destine was elected speaker pro tempore by the Senate; he ran unopposed. The position holds the usual voting rights of a senator and is tasked with overseeing Senate committees and coordinating the Council of Chairs. It also presides over Senate meetings when the speaker of the Senate is absent.

The bills passed were all amendments to SG statutes, namely a bill that separated the chief of staff position into two new positions: director of academic affairs and director of non-academic affairs.

Another bill passed creating a Board of Communications that adds four new positions beneath the director of communications to aid in marketing and public relations of SG. The position of deputy director of communications was removed.

The board will comprise no more than four members and no less than two in order to handle graphic design, photography, video, social media and the SG website. The SG president will appoint students to the positions after they apply and interview with the director of communications, who will make recommendations to the president.

Whereas chief of staff used to be sixth in the order of executive privilege – the order of succession when a SG executive is absent – the director of academic affairs and director of university affairs are now sixth and seventh, respectively.

Other bills amended the duties of the executive secretary and executive-at-large internal, as well as adjusted parts of SG statutes to include the names of new positions.

Notes:

• Get Out the Vote has registered about 400 voters so far and is hoping to reach 1,000 voters by the general election this fall. They are also able to help voters register in other states outside of Florida.
  • The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is holding a charity basketball tournament on Friday at 5 p.m. at the Hecht Athletic Center. Tickets are $5. There will also be a Miss IFC Pageant that night.
  • Matthew Phillips was elected president of the Graduate Student Association; he will take over after president Edwing Medina steps down at the end of this academic year.

William Riggin

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...