Campus Life, News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Speaker pro tempore elected, new positions created

Eight bills authored by next year’s Student Government (SG) Executive Board were passed and a new speaker pro tempore was voted in at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

Henson Destine was elected speaker pro tempore by the Senate; he ran unopposed. The position holds the usual voting rights of a senator and is tasked with overseeing Senate committees and coordinating the Council of Chairs. It also presides over Senate meetings when the speaker of the Senate is absent.

The bills passed were all amendments to SG statutes, namely a bill that separated the chief of staff position into two new positions: director of academic affairs and director of non-academic affairs.

Another bill passed creating a Board of Communications that adds four new positions beneath the director of communications to aid in marketing and public relations of SG. The position of deputy director of communications was removed.

The board will comprise no more than four members and no less than two in order to handle graphic design, photography, video, social media and the SG website. The SG president will appoint students to the positions after they apply and interview with the director of communications, who will make recommendations to the president.

Whereas chief of staff used to be sixth in the order of executive privilege – the order of succession when a SG executive is absent – the director of academic affairs and director of university affairs are now sixth and seventh, respectively.

Other bills amended the duties of the executive secretary and executive-at-large internal, as well as adjusted parts of SG statutes to include the names of new positions.

Notes:

• Get Out the Vote has registered about 400 voters so far and is hoping to reach 1,000 voters by the general election this fall. They are also able to help voters register in other states outside of Florida.
  • The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is holding a charity basketball tournament on Friday at 5 p.m. at the Hecht Athletic Center. Tickets are $5. There will also be a Miss IFC Pageant that night.
  • Matthew Phillips was elected president of the Graduate Student Association; he will take over after president Edwing Medina steps down at the end of this academic year.

William Riggin

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...