Campus Life, News, Senate Recap

Senate Recap: Speaker pro tempore elected, new positions created

Eight bills authored by next year’s Student Government (SG) Executive Board were passed and a new speaker pro tempore was voted in at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

Henson Destine was elected speaker pro tempore by the Senate; he ran unopposed. The position holds the usual voting rights of a senator and is tasked with overseeing Senate committees and coordinating the Council of Chairs. It also presides over Senate meetings when the speaker of the Senate is absent.

The bills passed were all amendments to SG statutes, namely a bill that separated the chief of staff position into two new positions: director of academic affairs and director of non-academic affairs.

Another bill passed creating a Board of Communications that adds four new positions beneath the director of communications to aid in marketing and public relations of SG. The position of deputy director of communications was removed.

The board will comprise no more than four members and no less than two in order to handle graphic design, photography, video, social media and the SG website. The SG president will appoint students to the positions after they apply and interview with the director of communications, who will make recommendations to the president.

Whereas chief of staff used to be sixth in the order of executive privilege – the order of succession when a SG executive is absent – the director of academic affairs and director of university affairs are now sixth and seventh, respectively.

Other bills amended the duties of the executive secretary and executive-at-large internal, as well as adjusted parts of SG statutes to include the names of new positions.

Notes:

• Get Out the Vote has registered about 400 voters so far and is hoping to reach 1,000 voters by the general election this fall. They are also able to help voters register in other states outside of Florida.
  • The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is holding a charity basketball tournament on Friday at 5 p.m. at the Hecht Athletic Center. Tickets are $5. There will also be a Miss IFC Pageant that night.
  • Matthew Phillips was elected president of the Graduate Student Association; he will take over after president Edwing Medina steps down at the end of this academic year.

William Riggin

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...