Campus Life, International, News

International Week to blend global cultures with local experience

The Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO) will bring the traditions of countries around the globe to campus to celebrate their cultures and, in the aftermath of recent events, highlight the senseless violence that has occurred around the world.

COISO’s annual International Week (I-Week) will take place from April 4-8 on the Lakeside Patio, featuring this year’s theme of “the local experience.” With this concept, the event aims to take the campus community through a detailed exploration of different regions and discover the heart of these countries. That experience will start by honoring the countries reeling from terrorist attacks and remembering the fallen victims.

I-Week has held festivities on UM’s campus for more than 40 years. This year, though, the weeklong event will take a more solemn approach and focus on bringing awareness to the terror victims of these regions.

International Week Chair Aalekhya Reddam said the purpose of this year’s celebration was to highlight a different side to countries that were attacked and to show that they have thriving cities with rich cultures.

“We want to bring awareness to the plight. People tend to jump at different cultures and they say these things happen in Pakistan or so-called Muslim countries, Africa or other developing countries,” Reddam said. “I think that International Week shows another side to the countries [and]that it’s not just a place where terrorist attacks happen.”

This Friday, COISO will be selling customized I-Week shirts, accepting donations for victims of war and giving students a sneak peek of cultural foods that will be served throughout the five-day event. All funds raised will be donated to a humanitarian organization that benefits the victims.

“International Week has become more powerful because we have a cause behind it … In the past it was just an impact on UM. Now it’s in the world, in a small way,” Reddam said.

Reddam hopes the week will dismiss preconceived ideas people may hold about certain cultures.

“International Week breaks a lot of stereotypes and introduces them to a whole new culture. Some students also don’t have the option to study abroad, so we bring the country to them,” Reddam said.

Each day of the week will represent different regions: Latin America and the Caribbean, the Middle East and Africa, Europe, Asia and the Pacific Islands. Every evening at 5:30 p.m., tents with activities, games, educational materials and cultural items will be set up on the patio before cultural performances start at 7 p.m.

According to COISO President Maureen Tan, the multicultural arrays of food are always a hit with the audience and, when combined with activities and performances, have attracted an average of more than 500 guests per night.

“People are always excited to see what food will be offered. We always have a huge line,” Tan said. “Asia night is serving an interesting Japanese cake called urio. Similar to mochi and subtly sweet.”

COISO Vice President Avisha Gopalakrishna and her e-board came up with one of the tent activities after the recent terrorist attacks. Attendees will have the chance to write positive messages on letters and express their reflections for the victims.

Last fall, when terrorist organization Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) attacked Paris, Beirut and a Russian charter plane, killing more than 300 people, COISO held a candlelight vigil to remember the fallen and stand in solidarity.

“There is a lot of hate going on in the world, but in International Week, we will bring different cultures together and show that there is not just hate; there is love, there is unity,” Gopalakrishna said. “We also want to show that terrorism has no religion and to show the love and compassion of cultures coming together.”

Marcus Lim

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...