Dear V

Dear V: How do I shake my clingy FWB?

I’ve had a friend with benefits for a while. Things have been good so far; we talk once a week or so, hook up a few times a month and occasionally hang out together in our group of friends. Problem is, I think my FWB is developing feelings for me.

At first, I thought he was just being friendly. But lately, he’s been texting me more often, even asking to go to the movies or a concert together. Don’t get me wrong, I like him as a friend, but I’m in college and don’t want anything serious.

The sex is great, so I don’t want to ditch my FWB unless I have to, but I think he might start to think I’m interested in him, too. It’s become clear he’s not seeing anyone else, but I’ve been seeing a few guys off-and-on.

I don’t want to crush him, so how do I remind him he’s my FWB, not anything more?

Sincerely,

Keeping it Casual

Dear Keeping it Casual,

That’s rough. No one wants to ditch a FWB they enjoy seeing, but sometimes you have to cut your losses. You don’t want to end up with the reputation of a heartbreaker, but you also want to remind him he’s not going to be your boyfriend any time soon.

First, nix the one-on-one plans. Sure, if you were just friends it would be fine to hang out with him, but since you’re already hooking up you don’t want him to think you’re dating.

If he still doesn’t get the hint, you might have to have “the talk.” Ask him if he’s seeing anyone else and throw something in there like, “I’m so glad we’ve managed to hook up without getting feelings involved.” See how he reacts. Maybe he just got a little carried away and this reminder will bring him back down to earth.

Now, if your FWB still doesn’t get a clue, it might be time to cut him loose. Sure, ditching him will suck and it’ll feel like an awkward almost-break-up, but it might be the right thing to do. Explain to him that you’re not looking for anything more than a way to let off some steam once in a while.

Remember, you and your FWB might have a good thing going, but you don’t want to lead him on – that’s just cruel. Try to break the news to him gently and see if he gives you space. But if not, don’t be afraid to move on.

There are always more flings between study sessions and coffee breaks, and there are always more fish in the college hook-up sea.

So, grab your reel and get fishin’.

-V

Advice Columnist

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...