Basketball, Sports

James Palmer transferring from Hurricanes basketball team

Sophomore guard James Palmer is transferring from the Hurricanes, Miami Head Coach Jim Larrañaga announced on Monday.

“We thank James for his contributions to the Miami basketball program over the past two seasons,” said Larrañaga in a statement. “We wish him the best in his future.”

Multiple reports broke earlier Monday morning that Palmer was going to transfer from the Hurricanes. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news.

Palmer, listed at 6-foot-5 and 202 pounds, saw limited playing time in his two years at Miami. The Washington D.C. native averaged 3.7 points per game in 13.3 minutes per contest his freshman season. Both those averages went down this season as he averaged 3.5 points per game in 11.9 minutes on the court.

Palmer was likely to see even less playing time next season as junior guard Rashad Muhammad becomes eligible after sitting a year following his transfer from San Jose State in August, and with the arrival of four-star guard Bruce Brown in the summer.

The streaky shooter and hard driver saw his shooting percentages tumble this year from his first season at Miami. After shooting 41.3 percent from the floor and 36.5 percent on threes as a freshman, Palmer shot 36.4 percent on field goals and 27.7 on three-pointers in his sophomore season.

Mark Singer

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...