Basketball, Sports

James Palmer transferring from Hurricanes basketball team

Sophomore guard James Palmer is transferring from the Hurricanes, Miami Head Coach Jim Larrañaga announced on Monday.

“We thank James for his contributions to the Miami basketball program over the past two seasons,” said Larrañaga in a statement. “We wish him the best in his future.”

Multiple reports broke earlier Monday morning that Palmer was going to transfer from the Hurricanes. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news.

Palmer, listed at 6-foot-5 and 202 pounds, saw limited playing time in his two years at Miami. The Washington D.C. native averaged 3.7 points per game in 13.3 minutes per contest his freshman season. Both those averages went down this season as he averaged 3.5 points per game in 11.9 minutes on the court.

Palmer was likely to see even less playing time next season as junior guard Rashad Muhammad becomes eligible after sitting a year following his transfer from San Jose State in August, and with the arrival of four-star guard Bruce Brown in the summer.

The streaky shooter and hard driver saw his shooting percentages tumble this year from his first season at Miami. After shooting 41.3 percent from the floor and 36.5 percent on threes as a freshman, Palmer shot 36.4 percent on field goals and 27.7 on three-pointers in his sophomore season.

Mark Singer

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...