Basketball, Sports

James Palmer transferring from Hurricanes basketball team

Sophomore guard James Palmer is transferring from the Hurricanes, Miami Head Coach Jim Larrañaga announced on Monday.

“We thank James for his contributions to the Miami basketball program over the past two seasons,” said Larrañaga in a statement. “We wish him the best in his future.”

Multiple reports broke earlier Monday morning that Palmer was going to transfer from the Hurricanes. ESPN’s Jeff Goodman first reported the news.

Palmer, listed at 6-foot-5 and 202 pounds, saw limited playing time in his two years at Miami. The Washington D.C. native averaged 3.7 points per game in 13.3 minutes per contest his freshman season. Both those averages went down this season as he averaged 3.5 points per game in 11.9 minutes on the court.

Palmer was likely to see even less playing time next season as junior guard Rashad Muhammad becomes eligible after sitting a year following his transfer from San Jose State in August, and with the arrival of four-star guard Bruce Brown in the summer.

The streaky shooter and hard driver saw his shooting percentages tumble this year from his first season at Miami. After shooting 41.3 percent from the floor and 36.5 percent on threes as a freshman, Palmer shot 36.4 percent on field goals and 27.7 on three-pointers in his sophomore season.

Mark Singer

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...