Basketball, Sports

Seniors led Hurricanes in Sweet 16 season

The No. 10 Hurricanes’ season came to an end after falling to No. 6 Villanova in the Sweet 16 last Thursday, keeping Miami one win short of the program’s first-ever Elite Eight berth. The strength of Miami, not only in the NCAA Tournament but also throughout the season, was the play of its seniors.

Starting guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan paced the Canes’ offense while center Tonye Jekiri anchored the defense. Forward Ivan Cruz Uceda, a deadly three-point shooter, provided frontcourt depth off the bench.

McClellan, an elite wing defender and Miami’s leading scorer, transferred to the Canes from Texas after his sophomore year. While playing in the Big 12, McClellan struggled to shoot with consistency, including a sophomore campaign in which he shot 27 percent from beyond the arc. After transferring to Miami, he became one of the most efficient shooting guards in the country. He finished first in shooting percentage in the ACC among guards this season, having shot 50.4 percent from the field.

“Well, I went through a lot of struggles at Texas. I mean, I actually felt I had two great years on the court, but it was just certain things that people didn’t see, whether it was during practice or during the games that I wasn’t comfortable with,” McClellan said. “So I felt like I needed a change of venue. Once I found out Angel was transferring, I wanted to play with him. I knew he would be a great teammate and I knew we would be a great team.”

Rodriguez spent his first two collegiate seasons at Kansas State. After redshirting a season, he began his junior season as the Canes’ starting point guard. Rodriguez had an inconsistent first season in Miami, ultimately finishing the year shooting 33.7 percent from the field.

In the off-season leading up to his senior campaign, Rodriguez put on some additional muscle and worked on his conditioning, which allowed him to finish at the rim more consistently. Rodriguez improved his play throughout his senior year, shooting 44.2 percent this season.

Jekiri, a native of Nigeria, only played two years of organized basketball before heading to Miami in 2012. The seven-footer joined the Canes as a talented but raw prospect. He saw limited playing time in his first two seasons with the Canes.

Jekiri began to fulfill his potential in his junior year, as he led the ACC in rebounding with 9.9 boards per game. Head Coach Jim Larrañaga took notice of Jekiri’s improved play.

“Physically, he has gotten bigger and stronger; from a maturity standpoint, he has done very well with his school work, he has done very well with fitting in … I think he has matured in very positive way,” Larrañaga said before the 2015-16 season.

Unlike Jekiri, Uceda came to the Canes already a polished shooter. Uceda struggled on the defensive end but shot 44.8 percent on three-pointers in his final season.

Of the four seniors, McClellan has the best NBA outlook, although Jekiri is not far behind him. McClellan is projected to be a second-round pick, while Jekiri could sign with an NBA team as a free agent if he does not get drafted.

About Author

Tej Joshi

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...