Campus Life, News

News Briefs 3/28: TEDxUMIAMI, ‘The State and the Grassroots’

TEDxUMIAMI

Applications are open on OrgSync for the Board of Directors and general membership of TEDxUMIAMI, a group that organizes independent TED Talks on the University of Miami campus. The organization hopes to share “ideas worth spreading.” The applications close on April 7.

The State and the Grassroots

UM’s Miami Institute for the Americas (MIA), the Department of Sociology and the Cuban Heritage Collection will present a panel discussion on the grassroots of immigrant organizations on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the Cuban Heritage Collection Reading Room on the second floor of the Richter Library.

The panel will focus on the book “The State and the Grassroots: Immigrant Transnational Organizations in Four Continents,” and will feature commentary from Alejandro Portes, the Howard Harrison and Gabrielle S. Beck Professor of Sociology (Emeritus) at Princeton University, who co-authored the book. Panelists will include Felicia Knaul, director of the MIA and professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences at Miller School of Medicine; UM School of Law professor David Abraham, and Jorge Domínguez, Antonio Madero Professor for the Study of Mexico in the Department of Government at Harvard University and chair of the Academy for International and Area Studies. Sociology professor Jomills Henry Braddock will moderate the event and UM President Julio Frenk will deliver the closing remarks.

William Riggin

Another player has left the University of Miami football team. Cornerback Ryan Mayes, who was about ...

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...