Campus Life, News

News Briefs 3/28: TEDxUMIAMI, ‘The State and the Grassroots’

TEDxUMIAMI

Applications are open on OrgSync for the Board of Directors and general membership of TEDxUMIAMI, a group that organizes independent TED Talks on the University of Miami campus. The organization hopes to share “ideas worth spreading.” The applications close on April 7.

The State and the Grassroots

UM’s Miami Institute for the Americas (MIA), the Department of Sociology and the Cuban Heritage Collection will present a panel discussion on the grassroots of immigrant organizations on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. in the Cuban Heritage Collection Reading Room on the second floor of the Richter Library.

The panel will focus on the book “The State and the Grassroots: Immigrant Transnational Organizations in Four Continents,” and will feature commentary from Alejandro Portes, the Howard Harrison and Gabrielle S. Beck Professor of Sociology (Emeritus) at Princeton University, who co-authored the book. Panelists will include Felicia Knaul, director of the MIA and professor in the Department of Public Health Sciences at Miller School of Medicine; UM School of Law professor David Abraham, and Jorge Domínguez, Antonio Madero Professor for the Study of Mexico in the Department of Government at Harvard University and chair of the Academy for International and Area Studies. Sociology professor Jomills Henry Braddock will moderate the event and UM President Julio Frenk will deliver the closing remarks.

William Riggin

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...