Mr. Engineer pageant features competitors’ talents, fashion

Six engineers flaunted their fashion, talents and trivia knowledge Thursday night for the coveted title of Mr. Engineer. The competition, hosted by the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) and sponsored by the Rathskeller, took place in the Shalala Student Center.

The free, annual event allows contestants to showcase their personalities while raising awareness of SWE to gain new members.

“Mr. Engineer allows us to promote our club for fundraising and attract new members,” said Danielle Coogan, the social events coordinator. “It is also a way to take a break from the hard work engineering students do and to have fun.”

The night began with each competitor strutting across the stage in formal wear followed by a talent portion. Performances included senior Gio Calixte singing “Stars” from “Les Miserables,” sophomore Matt Ludwig escaping from tightly knotted ropes, and senior Eli Davis singing “Lava” from the Pixar short while playing the ukulele.

During the fashion portion of the event, contestants sauntered across the stage in “geek chic” outfits that featured suspenders, mismatched socks, pocket protectors with three pens inside and old Nike sneakers. Contestants also answered trivia questions, including who the president of SWE is, what kind of tea Picard drinks in “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and  Newton’s second law of motion.

At the conclusion of the event, judges tallied up points based on formal wear, talent performance, geek chic looks and the number of trivia questions that were answered correctly. While the judges made their decisions, audience members also voted for their favorite contestants.

Eric Milton, a junior majoring in software engineering, recieved a $25 gift card to the Rat for winning “Fan Favorite.”

“It’s a really remarkable experience for me, I feel great,” Milton said. “A lot of fans came out and supported me.”

Sophomore Mitchell Hamann, a mechanical engineering major who  played the saxophone to close out the talent portion of the pageant, won first place and was named the 2016 Mr. Engineer. He received a silver crown to match his sash and trophy. He also won a $50 gift card to the Rat.

“He played the saxophone with someone on keyboard as backup, and it was really impressive because the fact that he had accompanying music really stood out. It was so professional,” Coogan said.

“It feels amazing,” Hamann said of his win.

Esther Ponce De Leon

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...