Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis finishes flawless March

The No. 6 Hurricanes capped off a perfect month with wins over No. 12 Virginia and No. 53 Boston College (BC) this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes took down BC 7-0 on Sunday to go 8-0 in the month of March, the team’s first flawless month in two years.

The duo of senior Stephanie Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang got the Canes off to a strong start with a 6-3 win. Sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno guaranteed the Canes the doubles point, as they won their match 6-2.

The Canes (12-4, 7-2) continued to dominate BC in singles play, winning every single set. Fuentes and freshman Clara Tanielian made easy work of their opponents as they both won in two quick sets. Fuentes, who lost only one game, won her match 6-0, 6-1, and Tanielian won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.

“I was back there with Clara. She was so thorough the entire match,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “I’m guessing Silvia was the same with her score, just very detailed tennis.”

Wagner and sophomore Sinead Lohan, ranked No. 5 and No. 6 in the nation, respectively, both won their matches in straight sets, putting the Canes up 6-0.

Zhang was the final nail in the coffin as her two-set victory gave the Canes a perfect 7-0 sweep of the BC Eagles (7-9, 2-7).

Miami blanked BC coming off Friday’s 5-2 win over Virginia (10-7, 5-3). The doubles duo of Lohan and freshman Ana Madcur laid the foundation for the Canes’ victory as they won their match 6-1. Lohan sealed the match with a tough 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) win against No. 16 Julia Elbaba.

“I think for Sinead to take out Elbaba the way she did and just make it as physical as she did is what we needed to do,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes will next be in action when they travel to take on the Clemson Tigers at noon on Saturday.

Tej Joshi

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...