Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis finishes flawless March

The No. 6 Hurricanes capped off a perfect month with wins over No. 12 Virginia and No. 53 Boston College (BC) this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes took down BC 7-0 on Sunday to go 8-0 in the month of March, the team’s first flawless month in two years.

The duo of senior Stephanie Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang got the Canes off to a strong start with a 6-3 win. Sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno guaranteed the Canes the doubles point, as they won their match 6-2.

The Canes (12-4, 7-2) continued to dominate BC in singles play, winning every single set. Fuentes and freshman Clara Tanielian made easy work of their opponents as they both won in two quick sets. Fuentes, who lost only one game, won her match 6-0, 6-1, and Tanielian won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.

“I was back there with Clara. She was so thorough the entire match,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “I’m guessing Silvia was the same with her score, just very detailed tennis.”

Wagner and sophomore Sinead Lohan, ranked No. 5 and No. 6 in the nation, respectively, both won their matches in straight sets, putting the Canes up 6-0.

Zhang was the final nail in the coffin as her two-set victory gave the Canes a perfect 7-0 sweep of the BC Eagles (7-9, 2-7).

Miami blanked BC coming off Friday’s 5-2 win over Virginia (10-7, 5-3). The doubles duo of Lohan and freshman Ana Madcur laid the foundation for the Canes’ victory as they won their match 6-1. Lohan sealed the match with a tough 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) win against No. 16 Julia Elbaba.

“I think for Sinead to take out Elbaba the way she did and just make it as physical as she did is what we needed to do,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes will next be in action when they travel to take on the Clemson Tigers at noon on Saturday.

Tej Joshi

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...