Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes women’s tennis finishes flawless March

The No. 6 Hurricanes capped off a perfect month with wins over No. 12 Virginia and No. 53 Boston College (BC) this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Canes took down BC 7-0 on Sunday to go 8-0 in the month of March, the team’s first flawless month in two years.

The duo of senior Stephanie Wagner and sophomore Wendy Zhang got the Canes off to a strong start with a 6-3 win. Sophomore Silvia Fuentes and senior Clementina Riobueno guaranteed the Canes the doubles point, as they won their match 6-2.

The Canes (12-4, 7-2) continued to dominate BC in singles play, winning every single set. Fuentes and freshman Clara Tanielian made easy work of their opponents as they both won in two quick sets. Fuentes, who lost only one game, won her match 6-0, 6-1, and Tanielian won in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.

“I was back there with Clara. She was so thorough the entire match,” Miami Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com. “I’m guessing Silvia was the same with her score, just very detailed tennis.”

Wagner and sophomore Sinead Lohan, ranked No. 5 and No. 6 in the nation, respectively, both won their matches in straight sets, putting the Canes up 6-0.

Zhang was the final nail in the coffin as her two-set victory gave the Canes a perfect 7-0 sweep of the BC Eagles (7-9, 2-7).

Miami blanked BC coming off Friday’s 5-2 win over Virginia (10-7, 5-3). The doubles duo of Lohan and freshman Ana Madcur laid the foundation for the Canes’ victory as they won their match 6-1. Lohan sealed the match with a tough 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) win against No. 16 Julia Elbaba.

“I think for Sinead to take out Elbaba the way she did and just make it as physical as she did is what we needed to do,” Yaroshuk-Tews said to HurricaneSports.com.

The Canes will next be in action when they travel to take on the Clemson Tigers at noon on Saturday.

Tej Joshi

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...