Basketball, Sports

Despite sour end in NCAA Tournament, Miami made progress this year

The men’s basketball team ended the 2014-15 season in a loss to Stanford in the NIT championship game. This season, not only did the Hurricanes want to prove that they were snubbed from the NCAA Tournament last year, but they also wanted to prove that they were even better this time around. The Canes did just that.

Miami was unranked by both the AP Top 25 and USA Today Coaches polls to start the season, but the team dominated in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off, getting wins against then-ranked No. 16 Utah and then-ranked No. 22 Butler.

After a 5-0 start, the Canes finally cracked the top 25 in both polls in week three. They never looked back, ending the season with a school-record 17 straight weeks ranked in the top 25.

Throughout the season the team proved doubters wrong, especially with wins over ranked opponents Virginia, Duke and Louisville in a very tough ACC. Miami also defeated Notre Dame twice and Syracuse once, two teams that reached the Elite Eight.

Miami established something that is key to almost every successful basketball team: a dominant home-court advantage. The Canes finished the season 15-1 at home, with the only loss coming on a buzzer-beater to Northeastern in November.

After starting the season unranked, the Canes finished the year 27-8 overall and 13-5 in the ACC and reached the Sweet 16. Although Miami fans believe that the Canes had the talent to go further in the tournament, the team still considers this season a success.

“Oh, this was a great success. We battled right to the last day of the regular season for the regular-season title. We were ranked in the top 10 for a good portion of the season,” Miami Head Coach Jim Larrañaga said. “We had a phenomenal year.”

Miami had one Sweet 16 appearance in the program’s history before Larrañaga took over in 2011. The Canes have reached the Sweet 16 twice in the last four years. Although crucial seniors are leaving the team, the Canes will have a talented group come next season.

The team has many key players returning, including guard Ja’Quan Newton, guard Davon Reed and forward Kamari Murphy. Forward Anthony Lawrence Jr. and guard James Palmer will both be back as well. The Canes also have a top-10 recruiting class for 2016, headlined by five-star forward Dewan Huell and four-star guard Bruce Brown.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

A dozen thoughts and notes from UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium, a ga ...

1. DOLPHINS: Fins visit Stinkin' Jets: Biggest challenge facing Dolphins as Sunday's Jets ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...