Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker of Senate, Energy Conservation Organization welcomes new executives

Josh Zuchniarz Elected Speaker of the Senate

The next speaker of the Senate will be Josh Zuchniarz, one of the current senators for the College of Arts and Sciences. Three candidates for the position were given five minutes to speak and two minutes to answer questions at the meeting Wednesday before the Senate voted. The winner of the position had to win by 50 percent plus one of all those eligible and in attendance to vote.

Ivann Anderson, the speaker pro tempore, a position that is open for election next meeting, also ran for the position of speaker. Chair of University Affairs Henson Destine, sophomore senator, also ran.

In his speech, Zuchniarz spoke of all his accomplishments in Student Government and how he had “not only the commitment, but also the experience necessary to be speaker.”

He said that, as speaker, he wants to narrow the gap between Student Government and the student body.

“I want students to know as much about the Senate [as]they know about Category 5,” Zuchniarz said.

New Energy Conservation Organization Executives Made Official

A bill was passed to ratify Joshua Lomot as chairperson, Kristin Butler as vice chairperson and Meredith Frost as Green Committee co-director of the Energy Conservation Organization.

Notes:

• University Affairs is considering putting out a survey regarding the closing of the University Credit Union branch in the UC, which is planned for May 20.
  • The Miss UM competition will be held March 29 in the Shalala Activities Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...