Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Speaker of Senate, Energy Conservation Organization welcomes new executives

Josh Zuchniarz Elected Speaker of the Senate

The next speaker of the Senate will be Josh Zuchniarz, one of the current senators for the College of Arts and Sciences. Three candidates for the position were given five minutes to speak and two minutes to answer questions at the meeting Wednesday before the Senate voted. The winner of the position had to win by 50 percent plus one of all those eligible and in attendance to vote.

Ivann Anderson, the speaker pro tempore, a position that is open for election next meeting, also ran for the position of speaker. Chair of University Affairs Henson Destine, sophomore senator, also ran.

In his speech, Zuchniarz spoke of all his accomplishments in Student Government and how he had “not only the commitment, but also the experience necessary to be speaker.”

He said that, as speaker, he wants to narrow the gap between Student Government and the student body.

“I want students to know as much about the Senate [as]they know about Category 5,” Zuchniarz said.

New Energy Conservation Organization Executives Made Official

A bill was passed to ratify Joshua Lomot as chairperson, Kristin Butler as vice chairperson and Meredith Frost as Green Committee co-director of the Energy Conservation Organization.

Notes:

• University Affairs is considering putting out a survey regarding the closing of the University Credit Union branch in the UC, which is planned for May 20.
  • The Miss UM competition will be held March 29 in the Shalala Activities Center Ballroom.

Jorge Chabo

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Sixth-seeded Miami owns a spot in the ACC semifinals after rallying past third-seeded Wake Forest. ...