Campus Life, News, Science and Technology

NASA research scientist Geoff Landis discusses future of space exploration missions

A distinguished NASA research scientist spoke at the College of Engineering on Monday to give insight into aeronautics, engineering and the research he has been conducting in the Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio.

Geoff Landis has been working with the NASA Innovative Advanced Concepts office in Cleveland on different materials and technologies that will aid NASA missions in the future. He said that much of their work will help shape future space exploration.

“It’s all speculative designs for missions in the future,” he said. “We’re talking about the generation [of missions]that will reach out into the solar system and explore some pretty extreme environments.”

The event was hosted by the American Institute for Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) at the University of Miami.

“Dr. Landis gave a wonderful talk with information for students into not only his research, but a taste of the eccentricities of working in a NASA center and insight into life after undergrad,” said Shayna Hume, a student and president of the the AIAA chapter at UM.

His presentation gave students a general view of what spacecraft engineering is like, what considerations are involved in the process and how scientists and engineers go about designing and building spacecraft.

“There are so many different thousands of things that engineers do,” Landis said. “It’s almost hard to get a full understanding of the spectrum of what scientists and engineers do.”

Aside from Landis’s research and his contribution to the Mars Pathfinder Mission in the past, he is also a science fiction author, winning awards for such titles as “Mars Crossing” and “A Walk in the Sun.”

David Ufberg

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...