Campus Life, Health, News

MacArthur Fellow Dr. Pedro Greer discusses public health, integrity issues

Dr. Pedro Greer discusses the US healthcare system and integrity in medicine during Phi Delta Epsilon's annual Gelfand Lecture Tuesday evening in the Shalala Student Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Dr. Pedro Greer discusses the U.S. healthcare system and integrity in medicine during Phi Delta Epsilon’s annual Gelfand Lecture Tuesday evening in the Shalala Student Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

recipient of both the MacArthur Fellowship and Presidential Medal of Freedom spoke to students at the Shalala Student Center on Tuesday as part of Phi Delta Epsilon’s annual sponsorship event.

Dr. Pedro Greer, a distinguished gastroenterologist, spoke to a hall full of students and faculty about issues of public health, integrity and moral concerns in the field of modern medicine. The national chapter of Phi Delta Epsilon, an international medical fraternity, arranges for a speaker every year.

Dr. Greer emphasized how “embarrassing” it is that the United States healthcare system is ranked so low in the world. According to the World Health Organization’s rankings, the U.S. comes in at No. 37 in the world in overall health-system performance. But he said the students he spoke to have a chance to change that status.

“It’s wonderful talking to the students,” Greer said. “The future of society sits on the shoulders of your generation.”

Freddy Michaud, a senior studying biomedical engineering, said he was impressed with Dr. Greer’s speech and inspired by the message.

“It brought back the passion as to why people get into medicine,” Michaud said. “It’s great to see that there’s people in his position still working hard for the people who really need it.”

David Dorcius, a student leader in Phi Delta Epsilon, was ecstatic to have such a distinguished speaker come to UM. On behalf of the fraternity, he presented Dr. Greer with a plaque for “helping to promote the highest level of scientific and educational standards in the field of medicine.”

Dr. Greer has won a number of awards, including the MacArthur Genius Grant in 1993, the Presidential Medal of Freedom awarded by President Obama in 2009 and the Great Floridian award in 2013.

The physician’s closing message emphasized the value of collaboration in improving the world.

“Working together is not such a bad thing. Now go out and make the world a better place,” Greer said.

David Ufberg

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...