Campus Life, Health, News

MacArthur Fellow Dr. Pedro Greer discusses public health, integrity issues

Dr. Pedro Greer discusses the US healthcare system and integrity in medicine during Phi Delta Epsilon's annual Gelfand Lecture Tuesday evening in the Shalala Student Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Dr. Pedro Greer discusses the U.S. healthcare system and integrity in medicine during Phi Delta Epsilon’s annual Gelfand Lecture Tuesday evening in the Shalala Student Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

recipient of both the MacArthur Fellowship and Presidential Medal of Freedom spoke to students at the Shalala Student Center on Tuesday as part of Phi Delta Epsilon’s annual sponsorship event.

Dr. Pedro Greer, a distinguished gastroenterologist, spoke to a hall full of students and faculty about issues of public health, integrity and moral concerns in the field of modern medicine. The national chapter of Phi Delta Epsilon, an international medical fraternity, arranges for a speaker every year.

Dr. Greer emphasized how “embarrassing” it is that the United States healthcare system is ranked so low in the world. According to the World Health Organization’s rankings, the U.S. comes in at No. 37 in the world in overall health-system performance. But he said the students he spoke to have a chance to change that status.

“It’s wonderful talking to the students,” Greer said. “The future of society sits on the shoulders of your generation.”

Freddy Michaud, a senior studying biomedical engineering, said he was impressed with Dr. Greer’s speech and inspired by the message.

“It brought back the passion as to why people get into medicine,” Michaud said. “It’s great to see that there’s people in his position still working hard for the people who really need it.”

David Dorcius, a student leader in Phi Delta Epsilon, was ecstatic to have such a distinguished speaker come to UM. On behalf of the fraternity, he presented Dr. Greer with a plaque for “helping to promote the highest level of scientific and educational standards in the field of medicine.”

Dr. Greer has won a number of awards, including the MacArthur Genius Grant in 1993, the Presidential Medal of Freedom awarded by President Obama in 2009 and the Great Floridian award in 2013.

The physician’s closing message emphasized the value of collaboration in improving the world.

“Working together is not such a bad thing. Now go out and make the world a better place,” Greer said.

David Ufberg

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...