‘Hijabathon’ showcases Muslim culture, traditional head covering

Muslim Students at the University of Miami (MSUM) held their first “Hijabathon” Wednesday, in the midst of their annual Islam Awareness Week.

Rowanne Ali, vice president of MSUM, described the event as a way for students to experience what it’s like to wear a hijab. The hijab is a head covering worn by some Muslim women as part of religious code. The purpose of the event was to introduce the veil to those who were unfamiliar with it and to answer any questions they may have had about it.

“That way, different people can get exposure to it, ask any questions and walk around with it or take pictures if they want,” Ali said.

Although they did not get the idea from Florida International University’s (FIU) Muslim Student Association, MSUM did receive hijabs from a similar event held at FIU. The hijabs on display varied from square to rectangular and had different designs on them.

As for the styles, Aaisha Sanaullah, another member of MSUM, explained how hijabs vary from country to country. The Turkish prefer square-shaped hijabs, while turban-style is more common in African culture.

“Personally I prefer the rectangular shaped one, they’re easy to wear and go with my style,” Sanaullah said.

Areeba Imam, president of MSUM, said the event would allow students to have a unique experience.

“I think girls who are interested will get a chance to see what it’s like,” Imam said.

On the table, near the plethora of hijabs, stood a condensed version of the scripture that states the religious code: “And say to the believing women … Do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head coverings…”

MSUM member Aya Eltantawy said the core of the religious code’s scripture on hijabs was modesty.

“The holy book states ‘to cover,’ men from the navel down and women in the form of a hijab,” Eltantawy said.

The turnout was better than expected, according to Sanaullah. She was surprised by the amount of men who came to try the hijabs.

“I see the appeal. It felt interesting to see a culture from their perspective,” said Ralph Paz, a freshman studying political science.

Jorge Chabo

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...