Baseball, Sports

Freshman Romy Gonzalez leads Hurricanes to 5-4 victory

Freshman third baseman Romy Gonzalez (10) hits during the Hurricanes’ 5-4 win over Bethune-Cookman Wednesday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Gonzalez hit a two-run single in the sixth inning to put the Canes up 5-3. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

The No. 4 Hurricanes weren’t at their best on Wednesday night, but they did just enough to get by Bethune-Cookman 5-4 in front of 2,430 fans at Mark Light Field.

The Canes looked primed for another blowout over the Wildcats after one inning. Miami knocked in three runs in the first, the same amount Bethune-Cookman scored in two games combined against UM last season. The Canes scored 27 runs in those two matchups.

Bethune-Cookman (9-13) scored runs in the second and the third innings while Miami (17-4) failed to get a base runner. The Wildcats ran right-handed sophomore Jesse Lepore out of the game after 83 pitches in just four innings. Lepore allowed two earned runs while walking three and giving up three hits.

Right-handed freshman Keven Pimentel came in for Lepore and pitched a scoreless fifth before giving up one run in both the sixth and seventh innings. The Wildcats tied it up in the sixth on an RBI single by Demetrius Sims, but Miami went back up 5-3 on a two-out rally in the bottom of the inning.

The Canes got two runners in scoring position after junior outfielder Willie Abreu was hit by a pitch and junior designated hitter Edgar Michelangeli singled to center and stole second. Freshman third baseman Romy Gonzalez knocked in both runs with a single up the middle.

“I was honestly just trying to put the ball in play,” Gonzalez said. “Actually I wanted to hit the ball up the middle, we had a nice gap in the middle.”

Gonzalez was starting for the first time since March 9 and had two RBI on the season coming into the game. Despite not starting in two weeks, Gonzalez didn’t have a problem staying ready to play.

“I was just working hard the days I didn’t play. Stayed believing in myself and just waited for an opportunity to contribute,” he said.

The Wildcats cut the lead back to one in the seventh on a solo shot over the right field fence by Michael Cruz. Pimentel (2-0) pitched the rest of the inning and passed a one-run lead to right-handed reliever Frankie Bartow. The freshman induced three groundouts for an easy top of the eighth. Junior closer Bryan Garcia pitched a scoreless ninth for his ACC-leading eighth save of the season. Garcia now has 33 saves in his career, one away from tying Robbie Morrison for third place and six from first in UM history, but the star closer says the record isn’t on his mind.

“It would be nice, right,” Garcia said when asked if he thinks about getting the record. “No. I’m just trying to win games.”

Miami has now won 12 of its last 14 games and is 14-3 at home this season. The Canes next play Clemson in the first of a three-game series at 7 p.m. on Friday at Mark Light Field.

Mark Singer

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...