News, Religious Life

‘Debunking Islamophobia’ event dispels misconceptions of Muslims

At the UC Patio Tuesday, sophomore and treasurer of Muslim Students of the University of Miami Aya Eltantawy works to dispel negative imagery of Muslims as part of Islam Awareness Week. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Muslim Students of the University of Miami (MSUM) gathered on the UC Patio Tuesday to distribute bracelets and information cards featuring prominent Muslims at “Debunking Islamophobia,” a daylong event. The event was part of Islam Awareness Week and was held on campus to counteract the negative imagery of Muslims that permeates the media and popular rhetoric.

Aya Eltantawy, MSUM treasurer, was in charge of choosing the famous faces to place on the information cards.

“I tried to compile a list of people from the present that are likely to be recognized, like DJ Khaled and Muhammad Ali. I also wanted to include people who had made major historical contributions,” Eltantawy said.

MSUM decided to hand out the bracelets with the slogan “Peace be Upon U” in order to remind people that Islam and violence, Muslims and turmoil are not synonymous.

“We want people to associate Muslims with positive things,” Eltantawy said.

MSUM members said they found students to be responsive to this event and to other events throughout the week. Some members said they were even able to help a student change her mother’s perception of Muslims by opening dialogue.

“Most people that stop to talk to us are pretty open-minded. They tend to just ask for more information about religious customs,” Eltantawy said.

Brianna Hernandez

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...