News, Religious Life

‘Debunking Islamophobia’ event dispels misconceptions of Muslims

At the UC Patio Tuesday, sophomore and treasurer of Muslim Students of the University of Miami Aya Eltantawy works to dispel negative imagery of Muslims as part of Islam Awareness Week. Shreya Chidarala // Staff Photographer

Muslim Students of the University of Miami (MSUM) gathered on the UC Patio Tuesday to distribute bracelets and information cards featuring prominent Muslims at “Debunking Islamophobia,” a daylong event. The event was part of Islam Awareness Week and was held on campus to counteract the negative imagery of Muslims that permeates the media and popular rhetoric.

Aya Eltantawy, MSUM treasurer, was in charge of choosing the famous faces to place on the information cards.

“I tried to compile a list of people from the present that are likely to be recognized, like DJ Khaled and Muhammad Ali. I also wanted to include people who had made major historical contributions,” Eltantawy said.

MSUM decided to hand out the bracelets with the slogan “Peace be Upon U” in order to remind people that Islam and violence, Muslims and turmoil are not synonymous.

“We want people to associate Muslims with positive things,” Eltantawy said.

MSUM members said they found students to be responsive to this event and to other events throughout the week. Some members said they were even able to help a student change her mother’s perception of Muslims by opening dialogue.

“Most people that stop to talk to us are pretty open-minded. They tend to just ask for more information about religious customs,” Eltantawy said.

Brianna Hernandez

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...