Comedy festival to support local charities

The Coral Gables Comedy Festival is bringing a night of laughter to the Cosford Cinema on March 31. Audiences should expect endless jokes and knee-slapping throughout the evening.

The festival will be held courtesy of Comic Cure, a business co-founded by University of Miami alumnus Benjamin Leis. Comic Cure holds festivals to display talented Floridian comedians and to raise money for various local charities.

“As a UM alumnus, it’s not only rewarding to bring my work back to the very campus that taught me so much, but I feel it’s my responsibility to provide a learning opportunity for students,” Leis said in a press release. “UM and the School of Communication have such amazing programs, organizations and offerings. We hope to highlight a few that evening.”

A portion of the proceeds from the Coral Gables Comedy Festival ticket sales will go to the School of Communication’s Public Relations Experience Program (PREP). PREP allows students from various communication majors to apply their classroom lessons to the professional world in a supervised workforce for course credit.

This is not the first time Leis has given back to his alma mater. After pursuing his degree in broadcast journalism and political science at UM, he worked for the Alumni Association for about five years. Now, Leis actively works to bring laughter and goodwill to the Miami community.

“If laughter is the best medicine, then Comic Cure is the pharmacy,” Leis said.

Part of Comic Cure’s role as the pharmacy of comedy is to bring comedians like Carl Rimi to the spotlight. Rimi has appeared on television shows and movies, always bringing high-energy performances to the stage with a focus on intellectual humor and impressions. One of his routines highlights the irony of trying to appear tough while growing up in a posh, gated community. Along with his upcoming appearance at Cosford, Rimi has also performed at festivals like the 2013 South Beach Comedy Festival and the 2011 Las Vegas Comedy Festival.

More than 20 comedians, including Rimi, will perform at the Coral Gables Comedy Festival. They will be divided between two show times, and each comedian will have three minutes to impress the crowd with stand-up routines, jokes and punch lines. The audience will then choose the winner of a grand prize and “bragging rights.”

If You Go

What: Coral Gables Comedy Festival

When: March 31. Doors open at 6 p.m. First show is at 7 p.m., second show is at 9 p.m.

Where: Cosford Cinema

Cost: $20 General Admission, $30 at the door. $10 for students. A portion of ticket sales will benefit the School of Communication.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user HugoAtaide.

Esther Ponce De Leon

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...