Basketball, Sports

Canes prepared to take on Wildcats

Focused. That is the word that best describes the state of the third-seeded Hurricanes as they prepare for their Sweet 16 matchup against second-seeded Villanova.

“We left all our celebrations in the locker room after the game,” junior guard Davon Reed said about the team’s reaction to beating Wichita State. “The goal is to win it all, so we are excited to be in the Sweet 16, but we are ready to move on.”

The Canes (25-7) have played with something to prove all season, often being overlooked by odds makers and TV analysts. “Once again, they have us losing. So that is another chip we have on our shoulder,” redshirt junior forward Kamari Murphy said.

Head Coach Jim Larrañaga is making sure his team has the right mindset in this tournament, taking it one game at a time. “He treats every game like it’s the championship, so we take on that same type of approach,” Reed said.

The ACC Coach of the Year has kept the team on track all season. He is known to use a variety of methods to connect with his players, even teaching them in ways that don’t involve basketball at all.

“Throughout my coaching career, I have repeatedly told story after story that always had a lesson to be learned,” Larrañaga said.

The players have responded well to these stories, as well as to many of Coach L’s other strategies to strengthen team unity. “I can talk to Coach L about a lot, we can have conversations not involving basketball,” Murphy said. “With a lot of college coaches, you can’t do that. He does a great job relating to us.”

Based on Monday’s press conference, it is clear that the players have adopted Larrañaga’s philosophies and are all on the same page going into Thursday.

“The biggest thing he says is ‘the score will take care of itself,’” Reed said. “If you take care of the little things and the mini games within the games, the score will take care of itself.”

Larrañaga has his players poised and prepared for this moment. Neither Reed nor Murphy has been in this position in the tournament before, but they are carrying themselves like they have.

“We are well-prepared for anything they throw at us,” Murphy said.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...