News, Obituaries, Ultra

UM senior Adam Levine dies after Ultra Music Festival

Updated, March 20, 7:23 p.m.: This story was updated with a statement from Ultra Music Festival. 

University of Miami student Adam Levine died Friday night at Jackson Memorial Hospital, according to a letter sent out to the university community by the school. The cause of his death was not released. Levine had attended Ultra Music Festival Friday, according to students who knew him.

Ultra Music Festival’s Chief of Security, Ray Martinez, issued a statement Sunday afternoon to WPLG Local 10 News reporter Michael Seiden.

“We don’t have many details, but we can tell you that our security personnel noticed he was having difficulties and immediately called Miami Fire Rescue to get him medical attention,” the statement said. “From what we have been told, paramedics initiated medical treatment and transported him to Jackson Memorial Hospital. Most unfortunately, he passed away at the hospital.”

Martinez went on to say that the festival is cooperating with Miami Police and the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner.

“I personally contacted Adam’s family yesterday and offered them our condolences,” the statement said. “We are saddened by their loss and our thoughts are with them.”

Levine, originally from Reston, Virginia, was a senior political science major. He was a brother of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity and a two-time senator and public relations vice chair in Student Government. He was also a program coordinator for the Freshman Leadership Council.

Levine studied abroad at the University of Technology in Sydney, Australia last year and had recently decided to apply to dental school.

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely sent the letter out Saturday afternoon informing the UM community of Levine’s death, offering the university’s condolences to his family and friends.

“Truly beloved by all, Adam’s outgoing, caring personality and sense of humor was known to always make his friends smile,” the letter said.

Students took to social media to express their condolences, posting Facebook statuses and photos with Levine.

Max Sanchez served as senator for the Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos, the Federation of Cuban Students, in SG while Levine was a senator. Sanchez said he briefly saw Levine on Friday at UMF.

“He was a very charismatic person and very easy to work with. He always had fresh ideas and never hesitated to help someone in need,” Sanchez said. “The most memorable thing in my opinion though was how he never stopped fighting for his ideas even when others tried to shoot him down.”

Seiden reported that the funeral services for Levine would be held on Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the North Virginia Hebrew Congregation.

The university’s Counseling Center can be reached at 305-284-5511 or www.miami.edu/counseling-center.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at icueto@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto.

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...