News, Obituaries, Ultra

UM senior Adam Levine dies after Ultra Music Festival

Updated, March 20, 7:23 p.m.: This story was updated with a statement from Ultra Music Festival. 

University of Miami student Adam Levine died Friday night at Jackson Memorial Hospital, according to a letter sent out to the university community by the school. The cause of his death was not released. Levine had attended Ultra Music Festival Friday, according to students who knew him.

Ultra Music Festival’s Chief of Security, Ray Martinez, issued a statement Sunday afternoon to WPLG Local 10 News reporter Michael Seiden.

“We don’t have many details, but we can tell you that our security personnel noticed he was having difficulties and immediately called Miami Fire Rescue to get him medical attention,” the statement said. “From what we have been told, paramedics initiated medical treatment and transported him to Jackson Memorial Hospital. Most unfortunately, he passed away at the hospital.”

Martinez went on to say that the festival is cooperating with Miami Police and the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner.

“I personally contacted Adam’s family yesterday and offered them our condolences,” the statement said. “We are saddened by their loss and our thoughts are with them.”

Levine, originally from Reston, Virginia, was a senior political science major. He was a brother of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity and a two-time senator and public relations vice chair in Student Government. He was also a program coordinator for the Freshman Leadership Council.

Levine studied abroad at the University of Technology in Sydney, Australia last year and had recently decided to apply to dental school.

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely sent the letter out Saturday afternoon informing the UM community of Levine’s death, offering the university’s condolences to his family and friends.

“Truly beloved by all, Adam’s outgoing, caring personality and sense of humor was known to always make his friends smile,” the letter said.

Students took to social media to express their condolences, posting Facebook statuses and photos with Levine.

Max Sanchez served as senator for the Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos, the Federation of Cuban Students, in SG while Levine was a senator. Sanchez said he briefly saw Levine on Friday at UMF.

“He was a very charismatic person and very easy to work with. He always had fresh ideas and never hesitated to help someone in need,” Sanchez said. “The most memorable thing in my opinion though was how he never stopped fighting for his ideas even when others tried to shoot him down.”

Seiden reported that the funeral services for Levine would be held on Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the North Virginia Hebrew Congregation.

The university’s Counseling Center can be reached at 305-284-5511 or www.miami.edu/counseling-center.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...