Study Abroad programs equally enriching for professors

Students are advised to study abroad to make them more competitive in their careers and to help them broaden their horizons. However, when discussing the advantages of studying abroad, there’s often a group of people who are left out of the conversation: professors.

Going abroad is just as important for professors as it is for students. As globalization occurs, skills like cultural sensitivity and international awareness are becoming more important than ever. It’s time that our university started encouraging professors to go abroad as much as it encourages students. It will make for a better learning environment and will better the overall quality of our education.

Professors who go abroad generally become more well-rounded and understanding leaders, teaching with a “do as I do” approach instead of the “do as I say” demand. This teaching style helps create a space for more dialogue in the classroom and pushes students to get a better understanding of worldwide conversations.

Another mutual advantage of professors teaching abroad is that they will learn to adjust their teaching styles to overcome cultural barriers and to accommodate students from all different backgrounds.

From the university-administration standpoint, professors who travel will eventually help the recruitment process for study-abroad programs. Just like how students who study abroad come back with stories that create a desire for the next person to go abroad, professors will return with similar experiences under their belt. The stories professors have will invite curiosity and encourage students to go abroad to explore on their own.

Nadijah Campbell is a junior majoring in journalism and public relations.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user MichelV

Nadijah Campbell