Study Abroad programs equally enriching for professors

Students are advised to study abroad to make them more competitive in their careers and to help them broaden their horizons. However, when discussing the advantages of studying abroad, there’s often a group of people who are left out of the conversation: professors.

Going abroad is just as important for professors as it is for students. As globalization occurs, skills like cultural sensitivity and international awareness are becoming more important than ever. It’s time that our university started encouraging professors to go abroad as much as it encourages students. It will make for a better learning environment and will better the overall quality of our education.

Professors who go abroad generally become more well-rounded and understanding leaders, teaching with a “do as I do” approach instead of the “do as I say” demand. This teaching style helps create a space for more dialogue in the classroom and pushes students to get a better understanding of worldwide conversations.

Another mutual advantage of professors teaching abroad is that they will learn to adjust their teaching styles to overcome cultural barriers and to accommodate students from all different backgrounds.

From the university-administration standpoint, professors who travel will eventually help the recruitment process for study-abroad programs. Just like how students who study abroad come back with stories that create a desire for the next person to go abroad, professors will return with similar experiences under their belt. The stories professors have will invite curiosity and encourage students to go abroad to explore on their own.

Nadijah Campbell is a junior majoring in journalism and public relations.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user MichelV

Nadijah Campbell

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...