Opinion, Staff Editorial

Islam Awareness Week opens much-needed dialogue about faith

The current political climate provides a true litmus test of American character. With the aftermath of the Paris attacks and the San Bernardino shootings still lingering on the public mind and the inflammatory rhetoric that has been tossed around this campaign season, how we treat our fellow neighbors and human beings in spite of our differences in religion and culture will reveal the strengths – or weaknesses – of our community.

Improving mutual understanding is the goal of Islam Awareness Week, put on for the first time ever by the Muslim Students at the University of Miami (MSUM). Much of the current fear directed toward Muslims and Muslim Americans results from skewed assumptions about Islam. Politicians like Donald Trump have fueled this ignorance, considering the creation of a national Muslim registry and calling for the shutdown of certain mosques – proposals that President George W. Bush found “abhorrent.”

It is frightening how ugly fears can incite even more terrifying actions. Last November, right after the Paris attacks, a woman in a hijab who was waiting at a London Tube station was pushed from the platform into an oncoming train, luckily surviving despite injuries. According to a February 2016 summary by The New York Times, suspected hate crimes against Muslims in America have tripled since Paris. Closer to home, the Islamic School of Miami was vandalized last September with books on ISIS, wire cutters, a ceramic skull and a variety of other bizarre items and signs meant to intimidate mosque-goers. In Titusville, Florida, a mosque had its windows smashed in with a machete and pork nailed to its front door on New Year’s Day.

Therefore, it is timelier than ever to host an event like Islam Awareness Week on campus. The week provides students with a safe space to not only celebrate Islamic culture but, more importantly, also ask questions about Islam. Events during this week are focused on educating non-Muslims and dispelling misconceptions about Islam, such as “Ask a Muslim” and “Debunking Islamophobia.”

An educational dialogue will create a cooperative, respectful community, and Islam Awareness Week will help foster the sense of inclusion that President Julio Frenk has made one of his priorities at UM. For Muslim students on campus, this week will provide a chance to showcase their pride in their religion and culture. For students who still have many questions about the faith, this week may be an opportunity to start some meaningful conversations.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Islam Awareness Week opens much-needed dialogue about faith”

1. Hiram Sympho says:

You have to respect Donald Trump and Ted Cruz for pushing for a national conversation on immigration, when every other candidate wanted or wants to sweep it under the rug.

2. gary fouse says:

No decent American wants to blame innocent Muslims for what is happening today. However, what is needed is an open and honest discussion and debate about the true teachings of Islam, Mohammed, the Hadith etc and how they are connected to the violence and intolerance we see today.

I urge everyone to read the Koran, but learn also how to read it since the chapters are not ordered chronologically. Read the life of Mohammad. Learn about sharia in detail, in particular Hudud Sharia law (Crimes against God). Learn what the punishments are and the affirmation of those punishments by virtually every leading Islamic school of thought and jurisprudence. One example: Leaving Islam is punishable by death.

Free speech and our own safety demands that people openly discuss Islam and its teachings. PC should never silence us. At the same time, let us not demonize all Muslims, people who may be secular or reformist or just trying to get on with their lives in peace.

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...