Opinion, Staff Editorial

Islam Awareness Week opens much-needed dialogue about faith

The current political climate provides a true litmus test of American character. With the aftermath of the Paris attacks and the San Bernardino shootings still lingering on the public mind and the inflammatory rhetoric that has been tossed around this campaign season, how we treat our fellow neighbors and human beings in spite of our differences in religion and culture will reveal the strengths – or weaknesses – of our community.

Improving mutual understanding is the goal of Islam Awareness Week, put on for the first time ever by the Muslim Students at the University of Miami (MSUM). Much of the current fear directed toward Muslims and Muslim Americans results from skewed assumptions about Islam. Politicians like Donald Trump have fueled this ignorance, considering the creation of a national Muslim registry and calling for the shutdown of certain mosques – proposals that President George W. Bush found “abhorrent.”

It is frightening how ugly fears can incite even more terrifying actions. Last November, right after the Paris attacks, a woman in a hijab who was waiting at a London Tube station was pushed from the platform into an oncoming train, luckily surviving despite injuries. According to a February 2016 summary by The New York Times, suspected hate crimes against Muslims in America have tripled since Paris. Closer to home, the Islamic School of Miami was vandalized last September with books on ISIS, wire cutters, a ceramic skull and a variety of other bizarre items and signs meant to intimidate mosque-goers. In Titusville, Florida, a mosque had its windows smashed in with a machete and pork nailed to its front door on New Year’s Day.

Therefore, it is timelier than ever to host an event like Islam Awareness Week on campus. The week provides students with a safe space to not only celebrate Islamic culture but, more importantly, also ask questions about Islam. Events during this week are focused on educating non-Muslims and dispelling misconceptions about Islam, such as “Ask a Muslim” and “Debunking Islamophobia.”

An educational dialogue will create a cooperative, respectful community, and Islam Awareness Week will help foster the sense of inclusion that President Julio Frenk has made one of his priorities at UM. For Muslim students on campus, this week will provide a chance to showcase their pride in their religion and culture. For students who still have many questions about the faith, this week may be an opportunity to start some meaningful conversations.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...