Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball season ends with 74-71 loss to South Dakota State

The No. 19 Hurricanes’ season came to an end, when they fell 74-71 to the South Dakota State Jack Rabbits Saturday night in an NCAA Tournament first round matchup. The fifth-seeded Canes led at the end of the first half, but an abysmal third quarter performance was Miami’s downfall.

The Jack Rabbits had a chance to put the game away in the final stretch, but they were unable to put the nail in the coffin. In the final minute of the game, SDS shot 3-of-8 from the free throw line. The Canes could not capitalize and their impressive season ended in disappointment.

It was the 12th-seeded Jack Rabbits’ three-point shooting and suffocating zone defense that hurt the Canes. Coming in to the game, SDS, the Summit League tournament champions, were known as a lethal three-point shooting squad. They stayed true to their modus operandi, converting more than 44 percent of their triples. They were led by freshman guard Madison Guebert who converted on five of her seven triples.

The Canes played a clean first half committing only three turnovers, but in the second half when the Jack Rabbits played more 2-3 zone defense, the Canes gave up seven turnovers. The decrease in ball security was a key factor in the derailing of the Canes offense in the second half.

The Canes fell behind when the Jack Rabbits opened the third quarter on a 11-1 run to go up 48-40. After the Canes fell behind in the third quarter, they were never able to get back into the game.

Prior to that the game was close in the first half. Both teams in the first half played well, especially on the glass, as both squads had 21 boards in the first half. For the Canes in the first half freshman center Emese Hof, off the bench, was the best player on the court. She scored eights points while also hauling in six rebounds. For the Jack Rabbits, the first half was also riddled with success. But the Rabbits’ leading scorer guard Marcy Miller struggled. She turned the ball over 11 times, many of which came in the first half.

About Author

Tej Joshi

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...