Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball season ends with 74-71 loss to South Dakota State

The No. 19 Hurricanes’ season came to an end, when they fell 74-71 to the South Dakota State Jack Rabbits Saturday night in an NCAA Tournament first round matchup. The fifth-seeded Canes led at the end of the first half, but an abysmal third quarter performance was Miami’s downfall.

The Jack Rabbits had a chance to put the game away in the final stretch, but they were unable to put the nail in the coffin. In the final minute of the game, SDS shot 3-of-8 from the free throw line. The Canes could not capitalize and their impressive season ended in disappointment.

It was the 12th-seeded Jack Rabbits’ three-point shooting and suffocating zone defense that hurt the Canes. Coming in to the game, SDS, the Summit League tournament champions, were known as a lethal three-point shooting squad. They stayed true to their modus operandi, converting more than 44 percent of their triples. They were led by freshman guard Madison Guebert who converted on five of her seven triples.

The Canes played a clean first half committing only three turnovers, but in the second half when the Jack Rabbits played more 2-3 zone defense, the Canes gave up seven turnovers. The decrease in ball security was a key factor in the derailing of the Canes offense in the second half.

The Canes fell behind when the Jack Rabbits opened the third quarter on a 11-1 run to go up 48-40. After the Canes fell behind in the third quarter, they were never able to get back into the game.

Prior to that the game was close in the first half. Both teams in the first half played well, especially on the glass, as both squads had 21 boards in the first half. For the Canes in the first half freshman center Emese Hof, off the bench, was the best player on the court. She scored eights points while also hauling in six rebounds. For the Jack Rabbits, the first half was also riddled with success. But the Rabbits’ leading scorer guard Marcy Miller struggled. She turned the ball over 11 times, many of which came in the first half.

Tej Joshi

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...