Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball season ends with 74-71 loss to South Dakota State

The No. 19 Hurricanes’ season came to an end, when they fell 74-71 to the South Dakota State Jack Rabbits Saturday night in an NCAA Tournament first round matchup. The fifth-seeded Canes led at the end of the first half, but an abysmal third quarter performance was Miami’s downfall.

The Jack Rabbits had a chance to put the game away in the final stretch, but they were unable to put the nail in the coffin. In the final minute of the game, SDS shot 3-of-8 from the free throw line. The Canes could not capitalize and their impressive season ended in disappointment.

It was the 12th-seeded Jack Rabbits’ three-point shooting and suffocating zone defense that hurt the Canes. Coming in to the game, SDS, the Summit League tournament champions, were known as a lethal three-point shooting squad. They stayed true to their modus operandi, converting more than 44 percent of their triples. They were led by freshman guard Madison Guebert who converted on five of her seven triples.

The Canes played a clean first half committing only three turnovers, but in the second half when the Jack Rabbits played more 2-3 zone defense, the Canes gave up seven turnovers. The decrease in ball security was a key factor in the derailing of the Canes offense in the second half.

The Canes fell behind when the Jack Rabbits opened the third quarter on a 11-1 run to go up 48-40. After the Canes fell behind in the third quarter, they were never able to get back into the game.

Prior to that the game was close in the first half. Both teams in the first half played well, especially on the glass, as both squads had 21 boards in the first half. For the Canes in the first half freshman center Emese Hof, off the bench, was the best player on the court. She scored eights points while also hauling in six rebounds. For the Jack Rabbits, the first half was also riddled with success. But the Rabbits’ leading scorer guard Marcy Miller struggled. She turned the ball over 11 times, many of which came in the first half.

Tej Joshi

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...