Haitian deportation forum wraps up Planet Kreyol’s Haitian Culture Week

Nearing the end of Planet Kreyol’s Haitian Culture Week, a Haitian deportation forum shined a somber light on the typically upbeat and festive week on Friday night. Planet Kreyol brought in Haitian attorneys Ronald Surin and Kertch Conze to speak about the plight of Haitians in the Dominican Republic.

Surin began the forum with a brief history lesson on the split between Haiti and the Dominican Republic with an emphasis on the racial divide between the two countries. He mentioned how word pronunciation would be used to separate the people of the two countries.

“Depending on how they pronounced ‘perejil’ (parsley), Dominicans would either be categorized as Haitian or Dominican,” Surin said.

The history lesson quickly moved into contemporary issues as Surin talked about a recent Dominican court ruling that set the year 1929 as the cutoff year when any children born to foreigners, even on Dominican soil, were not considered Dominican citizens. This ultimately made 200,000 people stateless, according to Surin and Amnesty International.

“The stateless citizens use whatever is lying around to make shelter, forming tent cities where the conditions are deplorable,” Surin said.

Conze strayed slightly from the historic precedent and emphasized a broader spectrum of plights, enlightening the economic, cultural and social disparities that create the rift between the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

The Dominican Republic is populated by roughly 11 million people and has a gross domestic product (GDP) of $64 billion. Haiti has about the same size population, but its GDP is just $8.7 billion.

“It’s not just two different countries, it’s two different worlds,” Conze said.

Conze spoke to the attendees of “Bateys” or “places of joy,” which are modern-day equivalents to slave plantations.

“Workers work from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m., with worker ages from nine to 75 years old and where the amount of work a worker puts in is not measured in pounds, but in tons,” Conze said.

Dotie Joseph, the former president of the Haitian Lawyers Association, joined the conversation near the end of the forum and further elaborated on the issues plaguing Haitians. He asked students to use the hashtag “rights4allinDR” to raise awareness.

Justin Lei

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...