Basketball, Sports

Canes’ 2015-16 season ends with disappointing loss, positive takeaways

Women's basketball Head Coach Katie Meier is pictured at the BankUnited Center. This season came to a close Saturday night with a 74-71 loss to South Dakota State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. File Photo

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier is pictured at the BankUnited Center. This season came to a close Saturday night with a 74-71 loss to South Dakota State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. File Photo

The No. 19 Hurricanes’ season ended Saturday with a disappointing 74-71 loss to South Dakota State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Although their early-round tournament loss to the 12th-seeded Jack Rabbits was an upset, the fifth-seeded Canes’ season still had several positive takeaways that the team can carry into next year.

In the 2014-15 season, Miami’s offense was single-headed. Then-sophomore guard Adrienne Motley was Miami’s only viable offensive threat, as she averaged 16.9 points per game and no other Cane even reached double digits. This season, Motley was helped by junior guard Jessica Thomas, who averaged more than 11 points per game, and redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes, who poured in just under 10 points per game.

The Canes also received legitimate bench scoring from the freshman duo of center Emese Hof and guard Laura Cornelius. This season’s balanced scoring helped to overcome deficits when one player was struggling to score. Miami should be able to continue its balanced scoring next season, as the team is returning all four of its top scorers next season.

The Canes (24-9, 10-6), who finished fifth in a loaded ACC, were led all season by the backcourt of Motley and Thomas. The duo started in all 33 games for the Canes, and Thomas facilitated the offense while also being a pit bull on defense, averaging 3.7 assists per game and forcing more than 1.5 steals per game.

Hayes, who missed her sophomore season with a leg injury, turned in a strong 2015-16 campaign. She was one of the Canes’ most dominating post presences, often bullying her way to score and snagging a high percentage of rebounds.

Although the Canes had a strong season, they still have some faults to address if they want to go further in the tournament next year. Miami struggled to defend the three-point shot when facing teams that played with a four-guard set. The additional speed and quickness is hard to defend for the Canes, who often play with two or even three forwards on the court. This was evident in the team’s final loss of the season.

Against more elite, more athletic competition, the Canes struggled to take care of the ball. When the Canes played the Syracuse Orange, who finished third in the ACC, Miami turned the ball over 26 times.

The Canes are only graduating one senior, guard Michelle Woods. She was a team captain and leaves as the only player in program history to play in four NCAA Tournaments.

“I’m going to miss her like I can’t even tell you,” Miami Head Coach Katie Meier said of Woods to HurricaneSports. “We’re only losing one but she counts for about five.”

With only one player leaving the program, the Canes should be able to build the success they had this year into a prosperous 2016-17 season.

Tej Joshi

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

You think you’ve got a lot of cooking to do to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner? Imagine how busy the ...

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

The Miami women's basketball team's annual Miami Thanksgiving Tournament begins Friday at ...