Basketball, Sports

Canes’ 2015-16 season ends with disappointing loss, positive takeaways

Women's basketball Head Coach Katie Meier is pictured at the BankUnited Center. This season came to a close Saturday night with a 74-71 loss to South Dakota State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. File Photo

Women’s basketball Head Coach Katie Meier is pictured at the BankUnited Center. This season came to a close Saturday night with a 74-71 loss to South Dakota State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. File Photo

The No. 19 Hurricanes’ season ended Saturday with a disappointing 74-71 loss to South Dakota State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Although their early-round tournament loss to the 12th-seeded Jack Rabbits was an upset, the fifth-seeded Canes’ season still had several positive takeaways that the team can carry into next year.

In the 2014-15 season, Miami’s offense was single-headed. Then-sophomore guard Adrienne Motley was Miami’s only viable offensive threat, as she averaged 16.9 points per game and no other Cane even reached double digits. This season, Motley was helped by junior guard Jessica Thomas, who averaged more than 11 points per game, and redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes, who poured in just under 10 points per game.

The Canes also received legitimate bench scoring from the freshman duo of center Emese Hof and guard Laura Cornelius. This season’s balanced scoring helped to overcome deficits when one player was struggling to score. Miami should be able to continue its balanced scoring next season, as the team is returning all four of its top scorers next season.

The Canes (24-9, 10-6), who finished fifth in a loaded ACC, were led all season by the backcourt of Motley and Thomas. The duo started in all 33 games for the Canes, and Thomas facilitated the offense while also being a pit bull on defense, averaging 3.7 assists per game and forcing more than 1.5 steals per game.

Hayes, who missed her sophomore season with a leg injury, turned in a strong 2015-16 campaign. She was one of the Canes’ most dominating post presences, often bullying her way to score and snagging a high percentage of rebounds.

Although the Canes had a strong season, they still have some faults to address if they want to go further in the tournament next year. Miami struggled to defend the three-point shot when facing teams that played with a four-guard set. The additional speed and quickness is hard to defend for the Canes, who often play with two or even three forwards on the court. This was evident in the team’s final loss of the season.

Against more elite, more athletic competition, the Canes struggled to take care of the ball. When the Canes played the Syracuse Orange, who finished third in the ACC, Miami turned the ball over 26 times.

The Canes are only graduating one senior, guard Michelle Woods. She was a team captain and leaves as the only player in program history to play in four NCAA Tournaments.

“I’m going to miss her like I can’t even tell you,” Miami Head Coach Katie Meier said of Woods to HurricaneSports. “We’re only losing one but she counts for about five.”

With only one player leaving the program, the Canes should be able to build the success they had this year into a prosperous 2016-17 season.

Tej Joshi

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...