Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball advance to Sweet 16 with 65-57 win over Wichita State

If you blacked out from Angel Rodriguez’s unconscious start, or when Wichita State somehow took the lead midway through the second half, you missed Miami earn its third trip to the Sweet 16 in program history on Saturday afternoon in Providence, Rhode Island. The third-seeded Hurricanes perhaps embraced March Madness a little too much in its 65-57 win over 11th-seeded Wichita State, but they are now one of only 16 teams with a chance at a national title.

Rodriguez led all players with a career-high 28 points on 9-of-11 shooting. In a move surprisingly permitted by the NCAA, the redshirt senior guard morphed into Steph Curry for the first 12 minutes of the game. Rodriguez scored 16 points on 7-of-7 shooting to put the Canes up 27-6 at the 8:26 mark of the first half.

“It’s about this little guy right here,” Miami Head Coach Jim Larrañaga said of Rodriguez after the game. “They got to rename the Dunkin’ Donuts Center to Angel Rodriguez Park because he took over the game and just carried us for a while and then made huge shots, free throws, threes, played great defense on [Fred] VanVleet.

It’s a great team win. It’s survive and advance baby, and we just survived.”

Rodriguez deflected the praise back to Larrañaga after the emotional win.

“He always had tremendous trust in me even when I struggled. He’s supportive of everybody and that’s the type of coach he is and that’s why we play the way we play, because we respect him and love him so much,” Rodriguez said.

Sheldon McClellan twice just missed on throwing down alley-oops in the first half. He had no problem slamming home a midcourt feed from Rodriguez with 9:29 left in the second half to end a shocking 11-0 run by Wichita State to take a one-point lead. McClellan’s dunk energized a stunned Miami squad that had just seen a 21-point advantage evaporate, and gave the Hurricanes a lead they would not give up again.

Wichita State (26-9) was not your standard No. 11 seed. The Shockers were the seventh-ranked team and best defensive group in the nation on KenPom.com coming into the matchup. Wichita State was even a two-point favorite coming into the game.

“I feel like a lot of times the so-called experts and everybody doesn’t give us a lot of credit, but we just need to play our game,” Rodriguez said. “If they don’t want to respect us, oh well, we’re just trying to win games.”

Miami took a 32-19 lead into the break. Wichita State avoided a total blowout by going on an 11-0 run with senior center Tonye Jekiri on the bench due to foul trouble. The Hurricanes (27-7) struggled to defend the Shockers when Jekiri left the game at the midway point, and had trouble scoring as Wichita State switched up its defense. The Canes didn’t make a shot the final 8:27 of the half but they maintained a double-digit lead throughout thanks to their scorching start on both ends.

Although the Shockers averaged 9.7 turnovers per game coming into the matchup, Miami’s defense forced nine takeaways by the 8:46 mark of the first half. Wichita State’s 19 points was the team’s fewest in a first half all season.

Miami shot 55.3 percent from the field overall and held Wichita State to just 33.9 percent shooting. Although the Canes were outrebounded 33-26, redshirt junior forward Kamari Murphy led all players with seven rebounds to go with four points and two blocks.

The Canes next play the winner of Sunday’s matchup between Villanova and Iowa in the Sweet 16 in Louisville, Kentucky on Thursday.

Mark Singer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes men’s basketball advance to Sweet 16 with 65-57 win over Wichita State”

1. ROCKY SIDELLA says:

Its cane POWER baby family all about the “U” Coach L has been masterful in directing these kids into the forfront of college basketball lets try to keep this man coaching these young men maybe into the final four I can feel it hats off to all these gentlemen who give it there all good luck guys bring us home that trophy

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...