Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes baseball downs Louisville 8-4 on Willie Abreu walk-off grand slam

The Hurricanes hosted fourth-ranked Louisville for the first of a three-game series at Mark Light Field on Friday night. It will be hard for the next two to live up to the expectations that this one created, as the Canes pulled out an 8-4 victory on a walk-off grand slam from junior outfielder and team captain Willie Abreu.

“I was just trying to do whatever I could to get the winning run in and that happened. It’s the first time I’ve ever done that,” Abreu said.

The victory gave Head Coach Jim Morris his 1500th all-time win, and he mentioned that it’s definitely one he won’t forget anytime soon. When asked about the milestone, with a grin he said, “That just means I’ve been around a long time, but it’s undoubtedly a great way to get your 1500th win.”

Sixth-ranked Miami (15-3, 3-1) came out of the gates sluggish and starting righty Thomas Woodrey gave up a couple of runs in the first two innings to a strong Louisville lineup. At the plate, the Canes were stuck in neutral until it sparked the offense with a giant three-run homer that put Miami ahead 3-2.

After a couple innings of solid pitching, Louisville (15-3, 3-1) came back to tie it up with a solo home run in the top of the fourth. Woodrey was able to come back strong and salvage a solid outing after his shaky start, but the offense kept leaving runners on base, squandering multiple opportunities with the bases loaded. The Cardinals made Miami pay for this in the top of the sixth, when a sacrifice fly to center field allowed them to regain the lead heading into the seventh.

Relief pitchers Andrew Cabezas and Bryan Garcia pitched almost perfectly in the remaining three innings, but it looked as if it just wasn’t the Canes’ night when a hard hit grounder resulted in an inning-ending double play with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh.

However, this Miami squad just wouldn’t go away. In the bottom of the eighth the Canes were able to get some runners on base, and sophomore outfielder Carl Chester gave the team life by driving in a game-tying run. Miami was then able to manufacture three singles in the bottom of the ninth to load the bases for Abreu, and he took advantage of it. On the first pitch of his at-bat, he blasted the walk-off grand slam well over the right field fence as the dugout and stands went crazy.

“It’s the best feeling in baseball. They’re a great squad and for us to get a win like that over them is huge,” junior catcher Zack Collins said.

After this exhilarating night, the Canes will look to build on this momentum and clinch the series over Louisville at 8 p.m. on Saturday night at the Light.

Cody Brown

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...