Campus Life, Community, Health, News

‘What’s in Your Molly’ information session discusses drug use at music festivals

A small group of students attended an information session on drug usage at music festivals Wednesday night, ahead of the popular three-day Ultra Music Festival this weekend.

Students for Sensible Drug Policy (SSDP) hosted the event, their first-ever “What’s in Your Molly” information panel, at the Shalala Student Center.

“I wanted to put on this event because Miami is big for electronic music and music festivals. With that comes a lot of people from around the world with different drugs from around the world,” said Colin Fitzgibbon, the Florida campus coordinator for SSDP.

SSDP focus on educating students about drugs without condemning them. This specific panel focused on the drug ecstasy, or molly, an illegal drug that is often popular at music festivals. The event focused on four topics: the description, dangers, testing and consumption of ecstasy.

SSDP member Nick Remijan described ecstasy as “one of the most popular recreational psychoactive [drugs], known for its empathogenic, euphoric and stimulant effects.”

Empathogen-entactogen drugs are considered to be those that create a communal feeling among groups of people.

SSDP presented the dangers of serotonin syndrome, which occurs with very high dosages of ecstasy. Serotonin syndrome results in agitation, diaphoresis (excess sweating), tachycardia (an unusually fast heart rate), hypertension and stability loss.

Testing ecstasy for MDMA (the main ingredient in ecstasy) was discussed in depth at the event. SSDP recommended places to acquire test kits and even showed videos of how to test ecstasy for the ingredient. Fitzgibbon even told students they could come to him and use his test kit.

“Twenty students came to me this week with their sample of molly and only two of them had a substance of MDMA,” Fitzgibbon said.

SSDP left students with the slogan: “Know your body, know your mind, test your substance and know your dose.”

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user TBIT.

Brian Murillo

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — The coach of University of Miami’s next opponent, one of the youngest college foo ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clear Sunday, just minutes after stepping foot ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

With Hurricane Irma past them, the Hurricanes are fully focused on their matchup against Toledo on S ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...

Following a stretch of 17 days without a match due to Hurricane Irma, the Miami soccer team will be ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will have its fall season opener delayed by a week. ...