Football, Sports

Spring practice puts Head Coach Mark Richt, new recruits in spotlight

Marc Richt discusses the football team's future at Signing Day in February at the Schwartz Athletic Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Marc Richt discusses the football team’s future at Signing Day in February at the Schwartz Athletic Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Following a year in which Miami suffered both the worst loss (58-0 to Clemson) and the most exciting last-second victories in school history (The Return), the future is understandably uncertain yet remains bright. With the recent start of spring practice on Tuesday, all eyes are on new Head Coach Mark Richt, who is responsible for shaping the next decade of Hurricanes football.

The announcement that Richt would take over as new head football coach on Dec. 4, 2015 invigorated a team and fan base that was in need of sparks. Richt attended the University of Miami from 1978-82 and played quarterback under legendary coach Howard Schnellenberger. Three decades later, the University of Miami is counting on him to draw from his personal experience under Schnellenberger to guide the next in line of great Miami quarterbacks and to bring the football program back to national prominence.

Richt has the luxury of taking over a team with one of the top quarterbacks in the country in sophomore Brad Kaaya. In addition to Kaaya, Miami is returning its entire backfield from last season. Sophomore Joseph Yearby became the ninth Hurricane to rush for 1,000 yards in a season while starting in all 13 games. Mark Walton will continue to share the load after leading the team with nine total touchdowns as a true freshman. The Hurricanes will also have redshirt sophomore running back Gus Edwards, who missed all of last season with a foot injury.

Junior receiver Stacy Coley, who would have led the team in every receiving category were it not for injuries early in the season, has decided to return for his senior year as well. The uncertainty lies within the trenches, an area the Canes must improve this year if they hope to establish the run and keep Kaaya on his feet.

New Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz has a much more solidified line, although there are unproven defenders behind it. He hopes to create penetration into the backfield and disrupt plays before they develop. Implementing the 4-3 scheme with four down linemen and three linebackers, the Miami native hopes to return the intensity and aggression of the famous Miami defenses he grew up watching in the 1980s. Diaz hopes to focus on efficiency, specifically reducing penalties, an area in which Miami needs improvement after leading the country in penalty yards per game (84.2) last season.

On the first day of spring practice, just over two months removed from the Sun Bowl loss to Washington State, it’s hard to disagree with Kaaya when he says, “I feel like the excitement level is pretty high right now.”

About Author

Daniel O’Leary

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Spring practice puts Head Coach Mark Richt, new recruits in spotlight”

1. Maggie ONeill says:

Go Canes!

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...