Football, Sports

Spring practice puts Head Coach Mark Richt, new recruits in spotlight

Marc Richt discusses the football team's future at Signing Day in February at the Schwartz Athletic Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Marc Richt discusses the football team’s future at Signing Day in February at the Schwartz Athletic Center. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Following a year in which Miami suffered both the worst loss (58-0 to Clemson) and the most exciting last-second victories in school history (The Return), the future is understandably uncertain yet remains bright. With the recent start of spring practice on Tuesday, all eyes are on new Head Coach Mark Richt, who is responsible for shaping the next decade of Hurricanes football.

The announcement that Richt would take over as new head football coach on Dec. 4, 2015 invigorated a team and fan base that was in need of sparks. Richt attended the University of Miami from 1978-82 and played quarterback under legendary coach Howard Schnellenberger. Three decades later, the University of Miami is counting on him to draw from his personal experience under Schnellenberger to guide the next in line of great Miami quarterbacks and to bring the football program back to national prominence.

Richt has the luxury of taking over a team with one of the top quarterbacks in the country in sophomore Brad Kaaya. In addition to Kaaya, Miami is returning its entire backfield from last season. Sophomore Joseph Yearby became the ninth Hurricane to rush for 1,000 yards in a season while starting in all 13 games. Mark Walton will continue to share the load after leading the team with nine total touchdowns as a true freshman. The Hurricanes will also have redshirt sophomore running back Gus Edwards, who missed all of last season with a foot injury.

Junior receiver Stacy Coley, who would have led the team in every receiving category were it not for injuries early in the season, has decided to return for his senior year as well. The uncertainty lies within the trenches, an area the Canes must improve this year if they hope to establish the run and keep Kaaya on his feet.

New Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz has a much more solidified line, although there are unproven defenders behind it. He hopes to create penetration into the backfield and disrupt plays before they develop. Implementing the 4-3 scheme with four down linemen and three linebackers, the Miami native hopes to return the intensity and aggression of the famous Miami defenses he grew up watching in the 1980s. Diaz hopes to focus on efficiency, specifically reducing penalties, an area in which Miami needs improvement after leading the country in penalty yards per game (84.2) last season.

On the first day of spring practice, just over two months removed from the Sun Bowl loss to Washington State, it’s hard to disagree with Kaaya when he says, “I feel like the excitement level is pretty high right now.”

Daniel O’Leary

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Michelle Atherley closed out the Bryan Clay Invitational with a record-setting performance in the wo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...