News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Elections codes review, senate duties amendment passed

Elections Codes Review

A bill to amend Chapter IV of the statutes of the Constitution of the University of Miami Student Government (SG) was passed. The amendment means that a revision of election codes could be initiated with a petition signed by the president, the speaker of the senate, the chief justice, the chair of the elections commissions and the SG advisor.

Election codes are the rules and regulations of the SG elections. According to the Supreme Court, the codes have not been revised for some time and are outdated. The goal of this amendment is to keep codes constantly updated with input from all branches of SG.

“It’s in the best interest of the student government to continually review these codes,” said Allie Hussey, chief justice of the student supreme court.

The bill had been scheduled for the previous senate meetings but was tabled due to bills from the Muslim Students of the University of Miami and Hillel calling for SG representation.

Amendment to Add Senate Duties Passed

Another bill was passed to amend the statutes pertaining to the duties of senators, committee chairs and vice chairs.

The SG statutes previously had no specific duties for these roles, leaving the actual obligations of the senators unclear. The authors of the bill wrote: “The explanation and definition of these duties would assist new Senators in understanding their roles and aid all Senators in the expeditious execution of the duties of their office.”

Notes:

• The Iron Chef UM cooking competition will be held next Wednesday at the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall at 7 p.m.
  • This week is Student Government Awareness Week.
  • Membership applications for the Energy and Conservation Organization will be out soon on the OrgSync we

Jorge Chabo

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...