News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Elections codes review, senate duties amendment passed

Elections Codes Review

A bill to amend Chapter IV of the statutes of the Constitution of the University of Miami Student Government (SG) was passed. The amendment means that a revision of election codes could be initiated with a petition signed by the president, the speaker of the senate, the chief justice, the chair of the elections commissions and the SG advisor.

Election codes are the rules and regulations of the SG elections. According to the Supreme Court, the codes have not been revised for some time and are outdated. The goal of this amendment is to keep codes constantly updated with input from all branches of SG.

“It’s in the best interest of the student government to continually review these codes,” said Allie Hussey, chief justice of the student supreme court.

The bill had been scheduled for the previous senate meetings but was tabled due to bills from the Muslim Students of the University of Miami and Hillel calling for SG representation.

Amendment to Add Senate Duties Passed

Another bill was passed to amend the statutes pertaining to the duties of senators, committee chairs and vice chairs.

The SG statutes previously had no specific duties for these roles, leaving the actual obligations of the senators unclear. The authors of the bill wrote: “The explanation and definition of these duties would assist new Senators in understanding their roles and aid all Senators in the expeditious execution of the duties of their office.”

Notes:

• The Iron Chef UM cooking competition will be held next Wednesday at the Hecht-Stanford Dining Hall at 7 p.m.
  • This week is Student Government Awareness Week.
  • Membership applications for the Energy and Conservation Organization will be out soon on the OrgSync we

About Author

Jorge Chabo

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...